Reefer 250 with Limited Clearance

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first marine aquarium and I'm happy to be joining the Reef2Reef community! For my first post I would like to talk about my tank selection process. My tank is located behind the couch in my living room. There is only 45" from the wall to the back of the couch, so the tank and stand with the doors open must fit in that space. I was looking for a tank that was around 40 gallons with a matching cabinet for simplicity.
Red Sea E-170.png

My first thought was the Red Sea Max E-170. This all-in-one design has external dimensions of 24" long by 22.6" wide and is 45 gallons including the AIO filtration area in the back of the tank. Unfortunately the matching cabinet has only one door, and with the door open the system would not fit behind my couch. Many other 24" wide tank models have this same drawback.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.39.34 PM.png

My next choice was the Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion 40. This is also a 24" wide AIO design with filtration area behind the display tank, but the cabinet has two 12" wide doors instead of a single 24" wide door. I like the aluminum cabinet on this model - it looks like it will stand up to saltwater for along time. As you can see in the drawing, this tank and stand would easily fit into the space I have available and would be an excellent choice for small spaces. But after a lot of thought I decided it was a bit smaller than I wanted. The display tank is only about 32 gallons, and the width of the display tank is only about 16 inches.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.49.54 PM.png

I finally settled on the Red Sea Reefer 250. With a 54 gallon display tank and an 11 gallon sump, it is a bit larger than I was originally thinking. And the sump will add some complexity and cost for a first-time reefer. But it works in my space because the 36" long stand has two 18" doors. Also the tank is 20" wide rather the the more common 24" wide.

I also considered the ProStar 90 from Pro Clear, which has the same dimensions as the Reefer 250, is somewhat less expensive, and has an aluminum and glass stand that may last longer than the Reefer painted particleboard stand. However the ProStar 90 has only one drain pipe. If that drain became clogged, the return pump from the sump would cause the display tank to overflow and water would spill onto my wood living room floor. The Reefer 250 has a separate emergency drain in case the main drain becomes clogged.

I purchased my Reefer 250 from my local reef store, Biggs Lagoon. They were very helpful. According to Biggs Lagoon there is a shortage of these tanks for sale online but they can still be ordered through brick-and-mortar stores.

Here are pictures of my Red Sea Reefer 250 installed behind the couch! I hope someone benefits from all this explanation!
IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Longmont excellent choice my friend! I have a Reefer 250 also. Check out my build thread. You will love your tank. Keep us posted on progress and everything else. Following.

BTW, do you have anything in the vivarium besides plants?

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Longmont excellent choice my friend! I have a Reefer 250 also. Check out my build thread. You will love your tank. Keep us posted on progress and everything else. Following.

BTW, do you have anything in the vivarium besides plants?

Thanks for the encouragement, powers2001! Yes, I have Brazilian dart frogs in the vivarium. They have been a lot of fun also.

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping and water in the tank! This picture was taken on January 28, Day 3 of tank cycling with the Red Sea Mature Reef kit. The rock is Real Reef Rock (which is not real reef rock). Big pieces were glued together with Fluvial epoxy, then small pieces were glued over the epoxy joints with BRS superglue gel. The sand is AquaForest AF Bio Sand, 0.5-1.5mm, 1" deep. However I didn't use the live bacteria starter cultures that are meant to be added to the sand since I already had starter bacteria from the Real Reef Rock and Red Sea Mature Reef kit.
IMG_1873.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement, powers2001! Yes, I have Brazilian dart frogs in the vivarium. They have been a lot of fun also.
@Longmont wow what specie frogs do you have? I'm getting into a frog vivarium with a mist king also once I have my reef tank set up. I just bought a subscription to Reptile Magazine they have a lot of content on amphibians. What lights do you have? I'll be getting Real Reef Rock too! Did you use all the rock that came in the box? Do you feel it was it was enough rock. If a box is not enough rock for me I have some old pukani rock I used on a previous build. Was there any life on the rock? I will definitely be watching this build!

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Longmont wow what specie frogs do you have? I'm getting into a frog vivarium with a mist king also once I have my reef tank set up. I just bought a subscription to Reptile Magazine they have a lot of content on amphibians. What lights do you have? I'll be getting Real Reef Rock too! Did you use all the rock that came in the box? Do you feel it was it was enough rock. If a box is not enough rock for me I have some old pukani rock I used on a previous build. Was there any life on the rock? I will definitely be watching this build!
@powers2001: My frogs are Ranitomeya vanzolinii, Brazilian poison dart frogs. I purchased three online from Josh's Frogs four years ago and I believe all three are still alive. They also laid eggs and raised tadpoles in my bromeliads, so currently there are 6 or 7 frogs. Josh's Frogs is my go-to source for frog supplies - they do a great job. The lights are two 13-watt Jungle Dawn LED units purchased from NE Herp.

I got the Real Reef Rock from a LFS. They had it in flowing saltwater, and I took it home wet in a styrofoam box and kept it in saltwater until assembly. I selected 8 pieces and it came to 38 pounds. I did use all 8 pieces, but I broke up the smallest piece into nodules to glue onto the joints in the aquascape. There was some evidence of life on the rock. Thanks for your interest!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001: My frogs are Ranitomeya vanzolinii, Brazilian poison dart frogs. I purchased three online from Josh's Frogs four years ago and I believe all three are still alive. They also laid eggs and raised tadpoles in my bromeliads, so currently there are 6 or 7 frogs. Josh's Frogs is my go-to source for frog supplies - they do a great job. The lights are two 13-watt Jungle Dawn LED units purchased from NE Herp.

I got the Real Reef Rock from a LFS. They had it in flowing saltwater, and I took it home wet in a styrofoam box and kept it in saltwater until assembly. I selected 8 pieces and it came to 38 pounds. I did use all 8 pieces, but I broke up the smallest piece into nodules to glue onto the joints in the aquascape. There was some evidence of life on the rock. Thanks for your interest!
@Longmont you must be doing something right if you’re frogs are reproducing. Do you have the isopods and springtails for bioactive substrate? Are you using a heater or are the LEDs providing enough heat? I’m also going to get into indoor water gardening.

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Longmont you must be doing something right if you’re frogs are reproducing. Do you have the isopods and springtails for bioactive substrate? Are you using a heater or are the LEDs providing enough heat? I’m also going to get into indoor water gardening.
@powers2001 Yes, did make a bioactive substrate and added springtails. Not sure about isopods. No heater, the 70 deg F room temperature plus LED lights seems fine for them. Indoor water gardening sounds cool! Not that I need another hobby...

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I'm about as far in the process of you with my RSR 250. I started with a Biocube 16 about 1.5 years ago. Did you stick with the stock plumbing? What are your plans for the sump and other equipment?

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I'm about as far in the process of you with my RSR 250. I started with a Biocube 16 about 1.5 years ago. Did you stick with the stock plumbing? What are your plans for the sump and other equipment?
@Ocean_dreamer89: I did stick with the stock plumbing, after a few missteps. At first I was stymied on how to connect the 16mm barbed fitting on the return line to the 1" braided aquarium hose going to my pump. Red Sea tech support told me I needed Red Sea part #42187, which I ordered from Marineandreef.com.

But it turns out that part #42187 is unnecessary, at least for the Reefer 250 v3 sump. If you unscrew the 16mm barbed fitting on the stock return pipe, you find 3/4" female threads (or close enough), identical to part #42187! I found a PVC fitting at Home Depot with 3/4" male threads on one end and 1" barbed fitting on the other. Problem solved!

Here is a picture of my sump so far. I have two Aqueon 150W fixed temperature heaters in the first chamber, where water enters the sump. Together these keep the display tank temperature at 78.2 +/- 0.2 F, according to my uncalibrated temperature probe. I plan to run a refugium in the third chamber and today I added an AI Fuge light over that area. The fourth chamber has a Eshopps X-120 AXIUM Space Saving G4 Protein Skimmer, which so far has been working well. The final chamber has a Maxspect Jump DC 6K return pump, which is probably overkill and barely fits, but it is very quiet. I plan to put a 5 or 10 gallon ATO reservoir next to the sump.

IMG_1878.jpeg

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ocean_dreamer89: I did stick with the stock plumbing, after a few missteps. At first I was stymied on how to connect the 16mm barbed fitting on the return line to the 1" braided aquarium hose going to my pump. Red Sea tech support told me I needed Red Sea part #42187, which I ordered from Marineandreef.com.

But it turns out that part #42187 is unnecessary, at least for the Reefer 250 v3 sump. If you unscrew the 16mm barbed fitting on the stock return pipe, you find 3/4" female threads (or close enough), identical to part #42187! I found a PVC fitting at Home Depot with 3/4" male threads on one end and 1" barbed fitting on the other. Problem solved!

Here is a picture of my sump so far. I have two Aqueon 150W fixed temperature heaters in the first chamber, where water enters the sump. Together these keep the display tank temperature at 78.2 +/- 0.2 F, according to my uncalibrated temperature probe. I plan to run a refugium in the third chamber and today I added an AI Fuge light over that area. The fourth chamber has a Eshopps X-120 AXIUM Space Saving G4 Protein Skimmer, which so far has been working well. The final chamber has a Maxspect Jump DC 6K return pump, which is probably overkill and barely fits, but it is very quiet. I plan to put a 5 or 10 gallon ATO reservoir next to the sump.

IMG_1878.jpeg

I thought about sticking with the original because my plumbing experience is nil! haha But I just decided to go for it!

I wish I had known that about the part #42187! I ordered three from the same website as you, but oh well. I like your plan for the sump. Very clean and simple, which makes everything super easy to get to for maintenance. Also, very smart to use the soft tubing for the return. I'm sure that helps out with the noise!

I'd love to hear how you like your refugium light later on. Thanks for the information about your heaters. I'm still debating on how and where to place mine to keep stable temperatures. It's good to have ideas for when I finally get the water circulating.

OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my electrical board, inspired by week 6 of Bulk Reef Supply's 52 Weeks of Reefing video. I decided to put the electrical board next to the tank rather than underneath to keep it farther from saltwater, improve access, and leave room for the ATO reservoir under the tank.

IMG_1898.jpeg

Front of the electrical board. The ATO controller will be placed in the upper left position. Power strip is a Kill-A-Watt.

IMG_1896.jpeg

Back of the electrical board. Transformers are attached to the plywood with Velcro. Wires are organized with twisty ties and these Velcro wire ties, which I screwed to the plywood. The outlet box at lower left allows one heater controller (top center on front side) to be the redundant high-temperature cutoff for two heaters in the sump.

IMG_1907.jpg

Black Krylon paint over hardwood veneer plywood left over from another project provides a good color match to my Reefer 250 cabinet.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find this is a great tank! I have the Red Sea Max E-260, which is similar to yours. The easiest way to adjust the water level n the overflow is to set the gate valve AND LEAVE IT ALONE!! Use the speed adjustment on your return pump to adjust the overflow level.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_1254192.jpg
    IMG_20201122_1254192.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Longmont

Longmont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find this is a great tank! I have the Red Sea Max E-260, which is similar to yours. The easiest way to adjust the water level n the overflow is to set the gate valve AND LEAVE IT ALONE!! Use the speed adjustment on your return pump to adjust the overflow level.
Thanks for the advice about the gate valve Phil, I'll give that a try. You have a beautiful tank, I may have a few questions about corals when I get to that point!

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice about the gate valve Phil, I'll give that a try. You have a beautiful tank, I may have a few questions about corals when I get to that point!
That's no problem, would be happy to help. I use Aquaforest's Component 1-2-3 to dose. It has all the elements needed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back