Reefer 300XL Advice

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am strongly considering getting back into the reefing game (been out for 7 years) and have my eye on a Red Sea Reefer 300XL. I used to have a 130D which I loved and was the biggest I could have at the time but was broken down when I moved from the UK to Oz. Now feels like a good time to start one up again.

I could possibly push to the 425XL but don't want the tank to dominate the room and am happy with the size of the 300 (3 feet long). The only downside I can see is the smaller cabinet space for electronics etc.. compared to the 425 (4 feet long). Is is possible to still keep all electronics inside the cabinet of a 300XL without fear of damage over time? I guess you could put some small fans in there or install a barrier to separate the sump and electronics side? Ideally Id like it all contained in the cabinet and neat if possible.

I'm not planning a crazy build so hopefully wouldn't be needing to install dosing pumps etc... I could possibly remove the ATO and install a bigger container next to the tank (behind the couch) and hidden away which should leave some room on the right hand side of the sump (assuming a chiller isn't needed which I'm hoping isnt!).

Any pics from owners or thoughts?

Thanks

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 300 XL. Have an 11 gallon Ikea bin for water, aqua uv 25 watt, all power suplly in the cabinet. Just route cable neatly and use the door for shelves.

OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Would love to see a pic if you have one handy? Need to consider a UV steriliser I hear they are a good bit of kit

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back