Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size UV are you using? I have a 57w and I’m also placing my UV on that same spot but I didn’t have to remove the board. You might need to contact Red Sea and see if it’s ok to take it out. I had mine removed and felt the tank was somewhat unstable.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in no rush for the XR15 G5 as I’ll be cycling the tank in the dark. Got the COR20, DOS, NERO5 instead.
Yup thinking of doing varios pump, dos and tunze pumps myself. I’ll give them another 2 weeks as I’m gonna cycle in the dark as well but I’m bleaching a few dirty rocks still.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size UV are you using? I have a 57w and I’m also placing my UV on that same spot but I didn’t have to remove the board. You might need to contact Red Sea and see if it’s ok to take it out. I had mine removed and felt the tank was somewhat unstable.
I’ve been following your build too!
I’m running the Deltec 80W UV at the lower flow rate of 1500LPH (400GPH) to combat protozoa since I’m going fish only for the first 3-6months before going SPS.
I think removing the smaller floor board is fine since the center vertical support is just next to it, but then I have yet to fill my tank with water like yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup thinking of doing varios pump, dos and tunze pumps myself. I’ll give them another 2 weeks as I’m gonna cycle in the dark as well but I’m bleaching a few dirty rocks still.
My thoughts are since I’m going to run APEX why not go with COR and DOS for more functionality.
The NERO5 will be on an independent power and deliberately non APEX platform, just in case of a power trip. It will be pretty much be a “set and forget“.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following your build too!
I’m running the Deltec 80W UV at the lower flow rate of 1500LPH (400GPH) to combat protozoa since I’m going fish only for the first 3-6months before going SPS.
I think removing the smaller floor board is fine since the center vertical support is just next to it, but then I have yet to fill my tank with water like yours.
Thanks for following my build as well! :) 80W UV is nice, that should definitely take care of potozoas. I'm also going fish only for 3-6 months with lower salinity (1.020). My plan is to slowly add my SPS by December. I already have a dozen acros coloring up nicely and growing in my reefer 170. You should consider a calcium reactor (like me) if you're focusing on sticks and sticks! hehe

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following my build as well! :) 80W UV is nice, that should definitely take care of potozoas. I'm also going fish only for 3-6 months with lower salinity (1.020). My plan is to slowly add my SPS by December. I already have a dozen acros coloring up nicely and growing in my reefer 170. You should consider a calcium reactor (like me) if you're focusing on sticks and sticks! hehe
That’s quite what I have in mind too for my fishes too. I’m going predominantly wrasses with anthias/glass cardinal as fillers. Going for the busy reef look.

I’m sure your SPS will be up and running in the 500 in no time since you already have them in your 170! And yes, I have the Avast Marine Seabones Calcium Reactor with GLA dual stage regulator at arms length.;)

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are since I’m going to run APEX why not go with COR and DOS for more functionality.
The NERO5 will be on an independent power and deliberately non APEX platform, just in case of a power trip. It will be pretty much be a “set and forget“.
I like that plan might do that myself since I’m fed up with chasing companies to pay them money lol. I think going Neptune pumps and dosers and I guess ATO as well will be easier.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite what I have in mind too for my fishes too. I’m going predominantly wrasses with anthias/glass cardinal as fillers. Going for the busy reef look.

I’m sure your SPS will be up and running in the 500 in no time since you already have them in your 170! And yes, I have the Avast Marine Seabones Calcium Reactor with GLA dual stage regulator at arms length.;)
I like wrasses and anthias too! I'm going to add a flame wrasse, lineatus, and golden rhomboid, borbonius anthias, and a harem (7) of evansi anthias! Unfortunately, I have to wait for my lid before I can add those fish.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that plan might do that myself since I’m fed up with chasing companies to pay them money lol. I think going Neptune pumps and dosers and I guess ATO as well will be easier.
Yes, I’ve got the Neptune ATK as well!

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like wrasses and anthias too! I'm going to add a flame wrasse, lineatus, and golden rhomboid, borbonius anthias, and a harem (7) of evansi anthias! Unfortunately, I have to wait for my lid before I can add those fish.
Nice! My ClearView lid delivered today broken, working out with the manufacturer. Super responsive and open people!

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man sorry to hear that but glad they're responsive! Which lid did you end up getting?
I’ve got the PISCES EXO made specifically for the Reefer 500P with a feed door on the far side from the overflow. But the dimension on the width is 5mm short...
5106DED7-DDC5-4A64-86A3-6CADEAA6A9AE.jpeg

The other concern is the 8-10mm all round gap at the overflow, which is major if you’re keeping wrasses. I would rather the netting covering the overflow completely, since the overflow sits 2-3mm lower than the lid.
AED22170-5222-4FA2-9B49-314CEB5C4AA0.jpeg

Again the guys at ClearView lids are super helpful, we will be cross referencing our dimensions coming Monday.
1) Does your overflow cover sits about 10mm lower than the top most edge of your tank?
2) What is the internal width in mm of your tank?
Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for visiting! Short update...

Waiting for some pipe fittings to interface between the Metric and the Imperial sizes. Going to rework the return and drain. Likely to dump the CLARISEA mod for DIY ATS converting from the default Red Sea RO reservoir.

Last edited:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for visiting! Short update...

Waiting for some pipe fittings to interface between the Metric and the Imperial sizes. Going to rework the return and drain. Likely to dump the CLARISEA mod for DIY ATS converting from the default Red Sea RO reservoir.
Cool but...
Why not do both the Clarisea and ATS?
Putting a filter roller in front of the ATS will save you headaches with stuff getting trapped in the algae.
Believe me, the algae will still grow but your tank will be cleaner and clearer.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool but...
Why not do both the Clarisea and ATS?
Putting a filter roller in front of the ATS will save you headaches with stuff getting trapped in the algae.
Believe me, the algae will still grow but your tank will be cleaner and clearer.
Believe me, that WAS my plan. But given the space constrain, I chose the better of the 2 means, IMHO. I’m counting on heavy skimming and the UV to help with the clear water. As and when the suspended solids become unbearable, I can fill the 4 x filter cups with floss and that would do the trick.

More so, to repurpose the grossly undersized RO reservoir to good use as ATS.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back