Reefer-S 1000 Build (Reefer Madness)

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arriving in about 1 week. Purchased from fishtanksdirect.com. Will continue to update and add pics on arrival.

Overview: After much debate, I decided to purchase the Red Sea Reefer-S 1000. With the past tank failures in mind, I opted to go with the euro-bracing and aluminum stand features to eliminate any extra stress with this experience. I currently have three different tanks and a copepod culture with 4 different types of copepods in abundance, a 13.5gal nano, 60gal fowlr, and 110gal fowlr. All three tank will be merged into one with the new build. 110 system is being sold, while I am keeping the 60gal system as a clownfish and anemone breeder and the 13.5gal nano will be for QTing coral and/or fish. I also just bought my first home as well in Forney, TX and this is going to be the home's centerpiece. Truly a dream come true for me and excited to share it with the community, especially those looking to purchase this tank.

Equipment:
Tank: Red Sea Reefer-S 1000
Skimmer: Red Sea SK 900
Lid: Red Sea DIY Net
Flow: Red Sea Reefwave 45 x2, hyyger minis x2, and will add x2 mp40s later
Lights: 3x Neptune Sky with xr30 mounts
Pumps: 2x Current USA 1900gph
UV: Classic 57watt Aqua
16oz of Turbostart 900
Ultrazero + python tube for water changes
x2 Brute 32gal trash cans with dolly
7 stage + BRS Chloramines Monster RODI
AI Prime Fuge for refugium
Cheap 200gph pump to rotate Chaeto

Aquascape:
200lbs Marco rock
25lbs Marco shelf rock
55lbs real reef rock
5 bottle of purple Coraline algae
100lbs of 1-2mm sand
lots of glue and epoxy

Livestock:
All livestock have been put through 90 days of quarantine in advance (30 days of Copper Power 2.5ppm followed by 7 days of Prazipro x2) done twice. I did this to be absolutely certain. I plan to frag and sell coral in a couple of years, along with locally sell longfin clownfish and RB anemones, so taking this extra QT was vital. All fish are fat, and the coral (mainly LPS) are in "observation" with no losses or ill effects due to double QT or moving.

All 40 of my fish get along together amazingly and many are paired. I accomplished this with proper aquascaping and great filtration/ tank husbandry. Oh, and a few returns to the fish store for some fish like a Humu trigger that we're ******s to others. No fish were harmed in making of this post! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Moorish Idol
Margined Coralfish
Copperbanded Butterfly
Longnose Butterfly
Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Orange Tang
Salfin Tang
Emperor Angel (no interested in corals, loves nori and mysis)
Regal Angel (same)
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Flameback Angel
Aussie Harlequin Tusk
Splendid Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Checkered Wrasse
Six Line Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Divided Leopard Wrasse
Red Headed Wrasse
Rhomboid Wrasse
Labout's Fairy Wrasse
(waiting on a Yellowtail Wrasse)
Mexican Jawfish
Aiptaisa Filefish
Lawnmower Blenny
Golden Midas Blennyx2 Paired
Yellow watchman Gobyx2 Paired
Blue Mandarinx2 Paired
Bluethroat Triggerx2 Paired
Firefishx2 Paired
Longfin Mocha Clownfishx3 Trio

Cycling:

I will be adding the Clownfish trio and possibly the blue tang (smallest of my tangs currently) in order to do a fish-in cycle with 16oz of Turbostart 900. I test parameters daily during a cycle. After week 2, if all goes well I will begin adding fish weekly in groups of 5-6 depending on the size. I plan to introduce all tangs and my Moorish Idol the same day. My Moorish Idol is the tank boss wherever he goes. He will not attack to kill or injure, but he is highly territorial about his food and will ward off others until he realizes it is provided in abundance.

Last edited:

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the new Red Sea g series?. I’m waiting on a response from Red Sea because best I can tell outside of the swappable filter sock area there is no change from the s series. If that doesn’t prove to be the case - I’ll need to figure out what I want to do.
Btw I’m waiting on my 850 to arrive at the end of this week :)

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the new Red Sea g series?. I’m waiting on a response from Red Sea because best I can tell outside of the swappable filter sock area there is no change from the s series. If that doesn’t prove to be the case - I’ll need to figure out what I want to do.
I did but the cabinets are plywood and it didnt have eurobracing so it was a pass for me.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the "Reefer Madness" that used to do live streams back 3 or 4 years ago? Wow
No sir! Just a reefer documenting my crazy dive into my first large tank. I'm currently in the middle of moving, but will update with aquascape pictures soon! I'm nearly finished with that. Still waiting on the tank to arrive. Hoping within the next 2 weeks I'll receive it. Plan to get it running right away. I will be doing a Youtube series about the tank and all my fish. Thankfully I didn't lose any fish during the move. It was quite the hassle moving 3 tanks.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir! Just a reefer documenting my crazy dive into my first large tank. I'm currently in the middle of moving, but will update with aquascape pictures soon! I'm nearly finished with that. Still waiting on the tank to arrive. Hoping within the next 2 weeks I'll receive it. Plan to get it running right away. I will be doing a Youtube series about the tank and all my fish. Thankfully I didn't lose any fish during the move. It was quite the hassle moving 3 tanks.
Yikes...3 tanks is a lot to move...glad your fish made it. I'll be watching for updates!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter sock tray and panel are removable in the G2, and there might be some cosmetic upgrades with the plumbing - but that appears to be about it.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a break from the move to take some picture of the aquascape! This is my first time aquascaping so any tips on what I'm missing would be great! I added some pellets in the pictures for size comparison. The left is my shelf tree with individual small cave, middle is a cave/shelf hybrid, and on the right is what I call the birdsnest. The foundation rock piece going up to the shelf on the far right is not attached to the birdsnest piece, neither is the tiny cave I thru together with leftover marco rocks. I did this because I need to be able to lift the pieces still haha

grp.jpg

shelftree.jpg

caves.jpg

birdsnest.jpg

birdback.jpg
shelfback.jpg
caveback.jpg

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One disappointment is that I did just notice that Red Sea now has the Reefer-s 1000 G2 for $100 more. It wasn't available at the time I pulled the trigger on my unit. Obviously I would've rather had the G2. Originally I did not think they were doing G2 with the Reefer-S line since its so new.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One disappointment is that I did just notice that Red Sea now has the Reefer-s 1000 G2 for $100 more. It wasn't available at the time I pulled the trigger on my unit. Obviously I would've rather had the G2. Originally I did not think they were doing G2 with the Reefer-S line since its so new.
Maybe they can still upgrade it if the tank hasn't shipped? I believe the only change is to the sump and possibly some of the overflow plumbing.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they can still upgrade it if the tank hasn't shipped? I believe the only change is to the sump and possibly some of the overflow plumbing.
It hasn't shipped yet, so I'm going to call here when they open and try to upgrade. I wouldn't mind waiting an additional 2 weeks. I'm doubtful though.

I would certainly be able to get over it though as the roller mat isn't that appealing to me. Seems like just more maintenance. It looks like the metal supports may be a little different though. They look different at least. I'm also curious about the overflow changes and whether its just cosmetic... either way it's not much to cry over.

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is what Red Sea said when I asked regarding the 850
The 850 G2 will have newly colored pipes, a newly designed outer main drainpipe, ReefMat ready sump, etc
The removable filter socks are all that really matter. The changes are more pronounced on non Reefer-S models.

For me personally, I was already planning on ripping out the socks for the ReefMat so I didn’t bother worrying about swapping over to the G2.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is what Red Sea said when I asked regarding the 850
The 850 G2 will have newly colored pipes, a newly designed outer main drainpipe, ReefMat ready sump, etc
The removable filter socks are all that really matter. The changes are more pronounced on non Reefer-S models.

For me personally, I was already planning on ripping out the socks for the ReefMat so I didn’t bother worrying about swapping over to the G2.
Okay that is reassuring. I got on the phone with fishtanksdirect and they're going to try and change the order with Red Sea. 50/50. Honestly it won't be a big deal, just a nice bonus. Not even sure I want to trade the extra 2 weeks wait for the G2 lol.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got off the phone with fishtanksdirect, who contacted their Red Sea rep. Evidentially the only difference between G1 and G2 is the removable baffle for the mat roller addition / sock filters. The G2 Reefer-S 1000 won't be available for shipment until June or July.

However I am extremely lucky with my particular order being one of the last technically labeled G1 models, Red Sea decided to go ahead and give my tank order the removable baffle for roller mat. Red Sea's response was that my model number on the tank will be labeled G1, however it will be the G2 series received and it is scheduled to be delivered May 9th.

I highly suggest fishtanksdirect to everyone... not only do they not charge sales tax, but their customer support and service has been outstanding. Very quick replies and they are incredibly detailed with the delivery process. Very pleased with Red Sea as well. I can't wait to share my experience with this!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back