Reefer916's SPS garden(Pics)

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics of my 24 gallon Aquapod that I've had running for 18 months now. I used to have a zoa dominated tank, until I got the SPS craze about 8 months ago and now it's chalices. Sorry about the bad quality pics, but I'm not a photographer by any means. It's pretty messy now and I'm trying to figure out ways to rescape, but there's too many corals in there right now. I'll upgrade this tank one of these days, but I keep spending all of my upgrade money on corals:) Thanks for looking and any advice would be great.

Chris

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks subdrive,

It's definitely addicting and I love buying frags and watching them grow. I just wish I had a better camera and photography skillz because I can't get the true colors out of my pics. I'm going shopping on Black Friday at some of my LFS's, so I'll be posting somemore eye candy over the weekend:) I just need to figure out where I could put anything else..haha Happy Thanksgiving!!!

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks akma,

I manually dose 5ml of the 2-Parts Bi-ionic daily, along with 2ml of Fuel from Aquavitro daily. I also feed a combo of Roti, phyto, and oyster feast daily. Twice a week I add additional Ca, Mg, Iodine, Strontium, and Coralvite because my tank consumes a lot of trace elements due to the coral load. I also do small daily water changes of 1-2 gallons or (3) 5 gallon water changes weekly to keep my water from accumulating excess nutrients due to the feeding. Depends on my work schedule and the kids:) I just added a Tunze 9002 and Phosban reactor with Chemi-pure Elite over the last month to help with nutrient export. However, I ran my tank without the equipment for 17 months with just the water changes and dosing. I've been happy with the results, but it's getting to be a little cluttered. I just can't stop getting more corals..lol

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, just worked out a deal with a guy taning down his 105 gallon and am picking up some of his chalices and a few acros tomorrow. Looks like the larger chalices are going into my 95 gallon wave tank and I'm going to frag some up into smaller colonies to put in my nano. Here's what I'm getting and if you guys could give me some ideas on where to put them that would be awesome.

80+ eye Tyree Bubblegum Monster
100+ eye Tyree Alien Eye
20 Eye YR Eye Tyrant
40+ eyes of Emerald Mummy Eye
100+ eyes of Hollywood Stunner
4 other no name chalices
Large Pink Birdsnest colony

What would you guys put in the nano? I think it would look cool having large colonies on the sandbed and the lower rightside of the tank. The Pink Birdsnest I'm thinking should go on the top far right of the tank in front of the ORA Green Birdsnest or on the far left in front of the Sunny Delight colony. Any thoughts? The rest of the corals will have to be held in my 95 gallon and I'm planning on fragging some of the chalices to recoup some of my costs, but I want to keep the majority of them.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say without pic's on where to put what.

It looks to me like you need to take all those corals and place them in the 90g, you are going to run out of room very fast with the nano and all those frags. You could probably really comfortably stock the 90g with all of your current frags and have a extremely beautiful reef in a year.

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say without pic's on where to put what.

It looks to me like you need to take all those corals and place them in the 90g, you are going to run out of room very fast with the nano and all those frags. You could probably really comfortably stock the 90g with all of your current frags and have a extremely beautiful reef in a year.

I'm picking up the corals later this morning, so I'll have pics soon.

I've been gradually moving my corals to my 95 gallon. My initial intention was to move everything to my 95 gallon and too keep my 24 as a backup housing to keep mini colonies in the event of a crash.However, the 24 has definitely grown on me:) Do you think a Coralife 2x150 MH with 2x96 watt PC actinics is enough light over my 95 gallon? Thanks

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here's a few of the nicer corals that I picked up this morning. Got a 80 eye colony of BGM and a 12 eye mini colony, 100+ eye colony of Alien Eye, 80+ eyes of Emerald Mummy Eye, 15+eye Bazooka Joe, 40+ eye colony of YR Eye Tyrant, 3" colony of YR Fire Polyp Undata, Large colony of Tyree Flower pedal monti, mini colony of ATL Raspberry Blue Tip Prostrada, 100+ eyes of Sandollar chalice, and 5 colonies of nice no name chalices. The guy was really cool and unfortunately was taking his tank down. I plan on keeping frags for him in case he gets back into the hobby. Also, I have a few loose colonies or frags 12 eye BGM, 14 eye & 9 eye EME, 1 1/2" Fire Polyp, and 4 eye Bazooka Joe that I'm looking to possibly trade or sell. Let me know what you think of the corals and if your interested in the chalices or Fire Polyp (Jedi Mind Trick). Thanks for looking.
Chris

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice corals!!even though the pics don't favor them... you can see some nice colonies there...!Congrats

OP
OP
R

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice corals!!even though the pics don't favor them... you can see some nice colonies there...!Congrats

Thanks, I'm not a photographer and I have some cheap camera's. Hence, I don't really post a lot of pics, but I've been looking around for some nice colonies for a long time. I had to give up my first born and a kidney, but I still got a good deal. Guess I need to invest in a camera:)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back