ReeferFoxx's JBJ 30

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! This is the start of my build thread. I will be making updates and changes.

This is not my first reef but my second. My first reef was a standard 20 gallon tall started with live rock. After dealing with many pests I decided to start an all dry rock tank. I had no idea what I was getting into.
Tank was started Feb 1st, 2016.
build1.jpg

At first, I had a pretty good idea of how I was going to start the tank. I knew what equipment I would be using. I watched many videos on how to "kick start" a dry rock setup. Learning how to pour this, add that, and wait. Unfortunately, I was watching the wrong videos. Maybe, I wasn't? Maybe, I missed something? Anyway, this new build has been a journey. A lot of ups and downs. However, I've learned from my mistakes and I've even educated others. I will say, the tank is always maturing and it still goes through ugly phases. Follow along and see how this nano evolves.

Equipment
  • JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless
  • 18lbs BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock
  • 20lbs Carib-Sea Special Grade Live argo
  • Jebao DCW 2000 Return
  • (2)Jebao PP-4 w/ AQLink SL1 Controllers
  • GHL 2.1 Doser
  • Tunze DOC 9004(Offline)
  • AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro
  • (2)Finnex Titanium 150w Heaters
  • InTank Media Basket
  • JBJ Nano Glo Refug LED(offline)
  • Modified PopularGrow 165w WIFI
Tenants
  • Black Oce. Clown(Female)
  • Orange Extreme Misbar Clown(Male)
  • Cherub Pygmy Angel
  • 2x Blue Green Chromis
  • Royal Gramma
  • Red-Banded Hi-Fin Goby
  • Pistol Shrimp(Alpheus Randalli)
At this point the tank has been up and running 18 months. Throughout this time it's been going through many ugly stages and at times extremely ugly stages. From Diatoms to Chrysophytes and Cyano.

build2.jpg

Eventually, the tank seemed to stabilize and things were going and growing great. I decided to add a couple more fish and a few more coral.
3/11/17
20170311_151758.jpg

6/04/18
reeferfoxx_30gtank.jpg
Not done updating this thread. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful. My JBJ 30 is around 2 weeks into the cycle. Could you tell us about what is in your tank in regards to livestock and hardware? And maybe some history of your tank.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful. My JBJ 30 is around 2 weeks into the cycle. Could you tell us about what is in your tank in regards to livestock and hardware? And maybe some history of your tank.
Thank you! Just made an update to this thread.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Just made an update to this thread.
Whoops, I totally didnt see that at all. I dont know if it was my computer being weird or a late update or I just totally missed it. How long did each battle with algae last, and besides the cycle, do you know what caused them?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Bummer about the wrasse.
I just got the brs screening Sat. Lost two this year. A two in. gap in my lid.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Bummer about the wrasse.
I just got the brs screening Sat. Lost two this year. A two in. gap in my lid.
My first screen had a gap. I did a rebuild without any gaps about 10 months ago. Problem was, I mix my food in a container and let it sit for a few minutes then remove the lid, turn to grab food, dump food and then reattach lid. In the process of turning around, he jumped. One of my cats alerted me to it as I didnt get to see or hear the what had happend. He was on the floor for maybe 10 seconds. I quickly placed him in the tank, later that day he passed away. If I could take a guess, I think he had a heart attack as his chest was bright red. Not sure if I'll get another just because of that.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ouch. Probably what did happen.
Yea, I've been there. It's never easy, for me anyway. The last one was on the lid. Upright, and the lid was only 4 in wide. Really sad. His mate had passed away the week before.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking that Aquamaxx HOB Skimmer? I have been wanting to run a skimmer on my JBJ 30 but havent been too happy with the nano skimmer options out there and have been eyeing the one you use.
It does the job, that is for sure. Couple things that bug me though is the drain pipe makes a slight water gurgling sound and you can kind of hear the air inlet through the silencer. It's not a serious issue and it's not something that would make me want to get rid of it.
I cannot figure out your cyano thing. Sooo odd.
I have my suspicions but I'm going to wait it out. This started after the dino outbreak due to switching dry rock. I was dosing po4 and kno3 pretty heavily. I am considering removing the Seachem Matrix just because of the possible NO3 imbalance. What do you think?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not 100% sold in the imbalance thing. After years of reading about it, it seems to get frequently debunked. Like a fad kinda. Jury is still out for me.

But adding Dry rock , and on occasion even new live sand I know will do it. I has to do with the way aragonite reacts to sweater at the ph we generally run out tanks and the buffering the aragonite does. Basily it becomes a co2 source.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not 100% sold in the imbalance thing. After years of reading about it, it seems to get frequently debunked. Like a fad kinda. Jury is still out for me.
The research though, is always in regards to live rock setups. There just isnt enough diversity in dry rock to support a 'circle of life' so to speak. If everything poops, you can only consider that my fish are the only things pooping..lol. With that my nitrates do bottom out without dosing. Anyway, that is how I see it whether right or wrong. But the dry rock addition would make sense and I stir the sandbed almost on the daily so it's not a detritus issue.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree , my coral qt will bottom out crazy fast. I can and have actually killed Xenia.
Its the imbalance causing cyano etc I'm skeptical of. I would have to guess after all these years I would have had it happen. My qt in theory should be a mess. I started it dry.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree , my coral qt will bottom out crazy fast. I can and have actually killed Xenia.
Its the imbalance causing cyano etc I'm skeptical of. I would have to guess after all these years I would have had it happen. My qt in theory should be a mess. I started it dry.
No mud or grunge in this one?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back