OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe buy or rent (if possible) a CO2 meter just to see what the state of things really is. I think they go for about $100 online.

If you wind up seeing that you have 2000+ ppm of CO2 like happened in another thread, then maybe that fresh air run will look more worthwhile in spite of the distance. Or maybe a whole-house solution would be in order – that's what happened in the other thread. Dude said his sleep and mood both improved. :confused:;Brb

I feel like I go through this every year lol. I think Salty can attest to that. There are things I can do to help that I always neglect to remember. ;Facepalm

So, for the skimmer it's running from 8am to 11pm. It's loud and I need sleep lol. Also, I had been running a phyto experiment which is coming to an end tomorrow. Coolia was popping up and wanted to try and suppress it's growth. The experiment involved heavy dosings of phyto to trigger green water. Another reefer did this with 1500mL on a 90 gallon tank. He didn't sacrifice a skimmer or anything else and it worked for him. Though, again, unidentified dino. So, I went with 500mL on my 30 gallon. In the last 9 days I've dosed 450mL of phyto without achieving green water. However, the tank glass and rocks are a rich green. So far I've seen a reduction in cyano but not Dino's. Amphipods have also grown to a crazy high population.

Skimmers in of themselves are debatable. You love them or hate them. Large reef tanks most certainly need one. Nanos though, you really have to look at what's happening. Small water volumn with slight salinity swings, increased nutrient export, increased co2, possible pH swings(as shown), and reduced zooplankton. With consistent feeding, weekly water changes, and sufficient mechanical filtration, I just don't see the need for one.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured i'd post this pic before I remove the toadstool coral. Tank is looking great today!
reeferfoxx_30gtank.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest about the 9004, I hated it at first. The thought of having a break in period is stupid in my opinion. However, once you grasp how it works it works great! It's giving me a nice skim. Thing about it was the water level mark on the skimmer body. Since its a fairly close fit in the rear chamber, the water sort of creeps up the sides of the body so when adding it to the back, place the water line 2 or 3mm above the water level. You'll know what I'm talking about when you set it up. Also the air intake for the skimmer beeds to be close to closed to get a dry skim.

Seven months later, but I had screenshotted this post and it was very helpful. I found the Tunze 9004 Skimmer slightly loud for a couple of days, but now it runs quiet. I also agree it is hard to get a dry skim. I keep closing the darn thing trying to get a drier skim. I let it run wet a little after adding my live rock and it was filling in two days. I started worrying about salinity frankly. Oh well, I will keep trying to find the sweet spot. Thanks again!

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven months later, but I had screenshotted this post and it was very helpful. I found the Tunze 9004 Skimmer slightly loud for a couple of days, but now it runs quiet. I also agree it is hard to get a dry skim. I keep closing the darn thing trying to get a drier skim. I let it run wet a little after adding my live rock and it was filling in two days. I started worrying about salinity frankly. Oh well, I will keep trying to find the sweet spot. Thanks again!
Let me know how it goes. Every 2 weeks I would have to adjust mine do to some slurpy noises. Not a big deal but only happened during the middle of the night when trying to sleep lol.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back