OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update since I haven't updated in awhile. Tank is doing ok. Had a hiccup with something contaminating my tank while working on an lighting project. This resulted in a sps rtn'ing, some copepods dying, and a small rebloom of Dino's. No worries though, impact was minimal and everything is back on track.

I did find some nudisbranchs on a grafted montipora. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the Monti but either way I took care of that issue.

IMG_20180412_185817.jpg
IMG_20180412_190638.jpg
IMG_20180412_190650.jpg

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

The monti cap that had the nudibranchs is recovering from being fragged. No visible nudis remaining, bonus. The tank is still seeing some off and on dino blooms and the cyano is persisting. In light of this I've decided to move forward with a rebuild. SPS corals in general aren't looking so hot, except for the easier stylos, digi, monti and the tri-color valida. All other corals are doing well. This isn't exactly how how I wanted my tank after the 2 year mark but this decision to rebuild isn't all bad. This tank was started with 98% dry rock and 2% cured LFS rock that just isn't resilient enough for a nano(IMO). So, I'll be on the hunt for some premium live rock. Possibly some fiji rock or tampa bay rock. I've yet to decide. In the mean time, i'll stop doing water changes except for once a month. All alk and ca dosings will continue via autodoser. I also might attempt a couple experiments to see if they have any positive effects. Cheers!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like plain orange M. digitata with a new name....which is OK since it's a BEAUTIFUL coral and you paid the right price for it. :)

Some strange things about mine....

I got mine in the form of two finger-shaped frags that were sold under two different names....."red" and "orange" digi. ;Facepalm LOL.....all same....never even an ounce of difference between them as they grew out. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Once in the tank, mine never again grew in "finger" form like you always see digi's.....mine grew into irregular massive plate forms. The largest was bigger than a dinner plate.

Then (many years later) I had an early-morning power outage that went unnoticed....I think it must've been a couple of hours long. Every single piece of that digi in my system bleached and died – across two quite different tanks attached to the same system. 5 or 6 different colonies of all sizes. And apparently no other coral in the system was affected at all....only the "orange" digi's. (A few tiny growth tips survived, so I'm not without digi!!!)

No lesson in it....just weird stories. ;)

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like plain orange M. digitata with a new name....which is OK since it's a BEAUTIFUL coral and you paid the right price for it. :)
Agreed! Actually, I'll have to get a new picture of it. It does appear slightly more red BUT then again the green on the tips is more pronounced now and might be adding to the color contrast giving the more redish appearance. Either way, it does look nice. Hopefully it grows upwards :cool:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

The monti cap that had the nudibranchs is recovering from being fragged. No visible nudis remaining, bonus. The tank is still seeing some off and on dino blooms and the cyano is persisting. In light of this I've decided to move forward with a rebuild. SPS corals in general aren't looking so hot, except for the easier stylos, digi, monti and the tri-color valida. All other corals are doing well. This isn't exactly how how I wanted my tank after the 2 year mark but this decision to rebuild isn't all bad. This tank was started with 98% dry rock and 2% cured LFS rock that just isn't resilient enough for a nano(IMO). So, I'll be on the hunt for some premium live rock. Possibly some fiji rock or tampa bay rock. I've yet to decide. In the mean time, i'll stop doing water changes except for once a month. All alk and ca dosings will continue via autodoser. I also might attempt a couple experiments to see if they have any positive effects. Cheers!

Sounds like a plan. ;Shamefullyembarrased

Who's tank is how they envisioned it, a rare few. You've done an exceptional job in bring the tank back around. I will be interested to see what effect adding the LR has to the overall system.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's tank is how they envisioned it, a rare few.
Touché! I think I had higher expectations then that are more achievable now. I went outside the box with dry rock, taking control to a whole new level. Unfortunately, you can't purchase enough segregated diversity to sustain the stability that critter rich live rock provides.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try the seneye monitor for the first time. First impression.... wt-efff
Screenshot_20180424-210006.png

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back