ReeferFoxx's JBJ 30

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mud , yes. Although in theory , it should have also provided every other nasty element , like Dino diatom and cyano etc. I def got worms and forameiferans.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mud , yes. Although in theory , it should have also provided every other nasty element , like Dino diatom and cyano etc. I def got worms and forameiferans.
Cheating :D:p

I will say this is the first time the tank has seen hair algae, so I'm going to wait it out. It would be nice to just take a clear picture without the ugly. We will see, if nothing changes I'll change something.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I stopped dosing KNO3 on Monday(this week). That would be 4 days without NO3 and alk and Ca consumption came to a halt. No adverse effects from coral per se, but trumpet coral didn't inflate as much as expected.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Updates?
Not a whole lot going on. I am becoming more and more frustrated with the tank as time goes by. It's still growing hair algae and cyano. The hair algae is now growing onto a couple stylophoras. The issue I'm having is flow. This is an important issue. Right now the tank water is sitting less than a inch from the rim. This is really..really limiting flow options. With the water so high its only allowing me to have linear or direct flow as opposed to indirect flow. When I attempt indirect flow it causes water to splash over the rim thus causing my ATO to pump more fresh water in. With this tank being more sps dominant, I cant have that.

So, in the next few weeks I'll be switching out my return pump from the 3000 to the 2000 to hopefully get the desired 400+/- gph that I think will help reduce the water level. In addition, I'm going to get a piece of live rock to help seed the tank. If that doesn't help the algae issue, a reset will happen. I've spent loads on bacteria, nutrient supplements, filtration and none of it is helping.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot going on. I am becoming more and more frustrated with the tank as time goes by. It's still growing hair algae and cyano. The hair algae is now growing onto a couple stylophoras. The issue I'm having is flow. This is an important issue. Right now the tank water is sitting less than a inch from the rim. This is really..really limiting flow options. With the water so high its only allowing me to have linear or direct flow as opposed to indirect flow. When I attempt indirect flow it causes water to splash over the rim thus causing my ATO to pump more fresh water in. With this tank being more sps dominant, I cant have that.

So, in the next few weeks I'll be switching out my return pump from the 3000 to the 2000 to hopefully get the desired 400+/- gph that I think will help reduce the water level. In addition, I'm going to get a piece of live rock to help seed the tank. If that doesn't help the algae issue, a reset will happen. I've spent loads on bacteria, nutrient supplements, filtration and none of it is helping.
What are your current params and lighting schedule?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Come on don't give up!! Work that baby and it will clean up!

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, before I think about purchasing a new return pump, I went ahead and ordered a couple ball valves to control the flow more.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Lit...es-Two_Little_Fishies-TL9131-FIFTVLBV-vi.html
I want to see how these work first.

What are your current params and lighting schedule?

I tested params last weekend. As follows

Ca - 425
Alk - 8.0
Mag - 1380
NO3 - .5-1
PO4 - 0.013
SG - 1.026
Temp - 77-78

Keep in mind algae and cyano both absorb a lot of the nutrients so the numbers will be off.

Light Schedule is..

Moon lights - 10am - 10pm with slow ramp up in am and slow ramp down in pm
Blues - 11:30am slow ramp to 70% at 12 noon and ramp down at 7pm-9pm
Whites - 11:30am slow ramp up then 17% at 12 noon to 7pm and 30 minute ramp down.

Peak hours of 17% white and 70% blue is 7 hours. Total light time is 12 hours.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferfoxx
Do you have a current fts where I can see your power heads?

I'll get one in my cube thread. Not sure why mine works but it does. It's actually kinda laminar and kinda direct , but oddly working really well.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a half can of Fiji mud I can send you and maybe some Scripps water. :p

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferfoxx
Do you have a current fts where I can see your power heads?

I'll get one in my cube thread. Not sure why mine works but it does. It's actually kinda laminar and kinda direct , but oddly working really well.
Right now the powerheads are on the left and right side of the tank pointed right at each other. This will work till the new valves come in the mail. Its still not perfect. I have dead spot underneath the pumps.

On another note, my 4 month old smart ato micro pump crapped out on me last night. Hopefully thats under warrenty. #junk

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, my 4 month old smart ato micro pump crapped out on me last night. Hopefully thats under warrenty. #junk
Correction, it had a bubble stuck inside the impeller. Once I cleared it, it performed like new o_O;Wacky;Shy #myfault

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, it had a bubble stuck inside the impeller. Once I cleared it, it performed like new o_O;Wacky;Shy #myfault
There's a disturbance in the Force.
I've read a dozen or more ato malfunction reports in the last week or so.
At my house , all three dumped and flooded. All thee were snails. First time it's happens in any of them. All have been in the same spot for over a year and one close to three.

I'm currently on hold with Yoda for tech support.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I received the new valves yesterday. Got them easily installed in about 10 minutes. Everything fit perfect. I was really surprised at the quality of these valves. My first initial reaction wasn't positive as a ton of micro bubbles were produced. However, they seemed to disappear after roughly 5 minutes. I was able to reduce water level about half an inch and I couldn't be happier.

20170920_195842.jpg

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last Friday my NO3 was .5-1ppm. This evening I did a nitrate test and my test came out to 2ppm. I haven't been dosing KNO3 and a water change was performed on Sunday. Is it possible that reducing the flow to the back chambers has allowed NO3 to increase? Keep in mind there is Seachem matrix in the filters. I'm asking because it's hard to tell if increased flow or decreased flow to matrix is reducing nitrates.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work on your phosphates;) I never got a true reading until I purchased a Hanna Ultra low phosphorous checker. The best thing I used was Agent green to get the phosphates down fast and GFO to keep the phosphates in line. What test are you using to test the nitrates.

Great build thread by the way.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work on your phosphates;) I never got a true reading until I purchased a Hanna Ultra low phosphorous checker. The best thing I used was Agent green to get the phosphates down fast and GFO to keep the phosphates in line. What test are you using to test the nitrates.

Great build thread by the way.
Thanks! I am using the hanna phosphorus ulr checker. Im testing NO3 with Salifert. I'll throw a small amount of gfo in. Really my post was in reference to nitrates actually increasing. I've been dosing nitrates for as long as I can remember. This is a change for the tank. A positive one at that...i think lol

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am using the hanna phosphorus ulr checker. Im testing NO3 with Salifert. I'll throw a small amount of gfo in. Really my post was in reference to nitrates actually increasing. I've been dosing nitrates for as long as I can remember. This is a change for the tank. A positive one at that...i think lol

ahhhh, I just fed, fed, and feed. ;) I came in for the reason of the cyano and GHA and figure that one of your nutrients are running high.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh, I just fed, fed, and feed. ;) I came in for the reason of the cyano and GHA and figure that one of your nutrients are running high.
Yeah. I changed out a piece of rock a few months back and it caused a dino outbreak. I thought it was diatoms but I was wrong lol. I Saturated the tank with po4 and no3 to get rid of the dinos. It worked but then gha and cyano took over. So that is where I am at. Since I dosed the nutrients to remove dinos, i figured time and water changes would fix the high nutrients.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back