OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I took a 3.5 hr round trip for some live rock and more clean up crew. All in all I wasn't happy with what I picked. Grabbed about 4lbs of rock, 2 turbos, 2 black margaritas, and 6 more red legged hermits. Ended up with 4 pounds of rock without critters, 1 turbo 1 turbo shell, and 2 margaritas not moving.

This was the first time I purchased rock that this store. The options were base rock or "the good stuff". It just wasnt diverse enough for the outcome I'm looking for. So, here in a couple weeks I'll be taking a trip to another store a little further out that does sell that critter rich rock that I want. At this point aiptasia, mojanos, asterina, bristleworm etc etc will be a welcoming addition.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm flat to hear you decided to unleash a whoopin'.
If seeding rock works/helps it would be a more affordable option than spending the $6 per pound of rock i want. Though, you've presented some good options as well. I would have to hit rock bottom(pun not intended) before assistance. ;Wacky

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Did you wonder the whole drive. If you had taken advice from the angel or the devil?

spoonspider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hate to see this build come down! Definitely worth the last ditch effort. I love your rock work and selection of fish and corals. It'll stabilize one day!

I see you picked up some live rock and CUC members. If you can, get your hands on some Trochus snails, they'll eat just about anything. Also, an emerald crab if you're still battling hair algae. He got my green hair algae issue under control in about 2wks!

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get your hands on some Trochus snails
You know, I need to! They do a great job and wish they were available in my STATE. Yes, I mean state. I've checked and called everywhere. Not one LFS in the state sells them. I could not tell you why. So, I'll probably be ordering them eventually.
Also, an emerald crab if you're still battling hair algae. He got my green hair algae issue under control in about 2wks!
I've heard some mixed things about emeralds. I know ppl typically use them for bubble algae. I might try one in the near future as well.

Thanks for the compliments. The rock work is basic. Mostly for easy husbandry as well as allowing SPS to grow vertical with enough room to where the tips aren't exposed.
It'll stabilize one day!
I really hope so! :)

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that means you can get it under control so you don't have to restart it. :fingers crossed:
Lets hope so. There is a lot of conflicting info on this strain. Course of action can be viewed this way or that way. It's not the nutrient hog like we've been seeing with more common dinos and it really likes macroalgae(ie hair and turf algae). From what I've read in scientific articles is it likes nitrogenous environments but is seen as incorrect by reefers in artificial environments. So my suggested action is to incorporate cheato(nutrient export) and keep dosing nutrients(nutrient import). But the tank is flourishing with hair algae(nutrient sink/export). So not sure.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling dino as well. I have a dino thread that I update every time I try something to kill the dino. So far I haven't made a dent yet. To say I hate dino is an understatement.

I am curious, did you check your dino under the microscope? My dino are all on he sand and it seems like they are wrapped around the sand grain. I wonder if I have coolio sp. as well. I should do a microscope ID, Maybe this weekend.

I wish you all the luck fighting this pest.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling dino as well. I have a dino thread that I update every time I try something to kill the dino. So far I haven't made a dent yet. To say I hate dino is an understatement.

I am curious, did you check your dino under the microscope? My dino are all on he sand and it seems like they are wrapped around the sand grain. I wonder if I have coolio sp. as well. I should do a microscope ID, Maybe this weekend.

I wish you all the luck fighting this pest.
Thank you! Yes I used a $10 scope off amazon. I don't recommend it. Here is a video.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is getting worse. Hair algae is growing more and same with the dinos. Nutrients are stable but the lack of water changes and constantly basting the rocks has stressed the fish out. My orange clown looks like it has ich growing. My guess is ich traveled on the new live rock that was added a month ago. I'm tired of this battle. Going to shut the tank down in the next coming months.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Please tell me you're going to restart it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear it. I know you've tried about everything.
Bummer human sacrifice is so controversial.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear it. I know you've tried about everything.
Bummer human sacrifice is so controversial.
It'll be hard getting rid of what I've had for so long. Lot of my corals and fish have been with me for 3 years now. They have survived everything from flatworms and nudibranchs to this tank thats seen every anecdotal fix to invasive organisms and parameter swings. Dry rock was a learning experience and I'm happy to say I'm done with it. :cool:

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear the tearing down. I can imagine how stressful it would be to try everything and not being able to enjoy the hobby. Glad to see a v2 coming out. Lol

Can you buy a small tank and an aquaclear hob filter to keep them temporarily? I've had a 7.5g and 2 12g tanks running only on an aquaclear and had just about anything you would want to keep in it.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you buy a small tank and an aquaclear hob filter to keep them temporarily?
There is a good chance the dinos and their cysts could remain in the fish or at least the fish can transfer the dinos via slime coat. It would be a risk unfortunately. :(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back