ReeferFoxx's JBJ 30

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not convinced on that introduction theory Though. I'm a poster boy for what should have gone wrong but didn't. No qt. Junk from the ocean. And never had a Dino

I sure wish I was smarter.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not convinced on that introduction theory Though. I'm a poster boy for what should have gone wrong but didn't. No qt. Junk from the ocean. And never had a Dino

I sure wish I was smarter.
I'm not either. Though recently a reefer suggested this might have happened. They started a full reset(new tank even) but kept the fish in QT. Wasn't but a couple months later another dino outbreak started on the new tank. Theres risks and then the bullet proof theory. I can't afford risks at this point. So much invested in the tank now. I'll have to throw away small utensils and scrappers or anything thats touched this tank. Even keeping equipment is risky. Cysts can survive bleach from what I hear. None the less ammonia is proven to kill my strain. So, bleach bath and ammonia rinses will happen. I'll be running bleach then ammonia in the tank also(not at the same time). It will be a long crappy process.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the same time I've seen "Dino's" appear from a vibrant overdose. And Dino's that disappear with no intervention.

There has to be a connected causality. Like sponges diatoms and silicate. And the odd algae that appear to cycle through an aquarium and disappear. I've had a dozen of those. It seems to use up what it needs and fades.
Craig bingman had a good article on it. Included fluorides and other odd things that get used up.
It so seems like there's an environmental cause at your house or in the tank.

Again. Mind boggling.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the same time I've seen "Dino's" appear from a vibrant overdose. And Dino's that disappear with no intervention.

There has to be a connected causality. Like sponges diatoms and silicate. And the odd algae that appear to cycle through an aquarium and disappear. I've had a dozen of those. It seems to use up what it needs and fades.
Craig bingman had a good article on it. Included fluorides and other odd things that get used up.
It so seems like there's an environmental cause at your house or in the tank.

Again. Mind boggling.
I wish there was something I could change in the house. I barely use chemicals to clean with. No air freshners. Could be cat litter but its low dust expensive stuff in another room about 30 feet away. My first tank never had dino or cyano issues. Only bryopsis which was another battle. Keep in mind i succeeded killing one dino outbreak. This is another. Two diff. strains. What really creates dinos is nutrient reduction followed by micro organism die off put simply. Problem here is coolia is killing any micro organisms trying to live. I have video of it lol Now if they could kill ich that would be sweet.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a little update. Nothing special. Last Monday I put some thought into keeping the fish during this reboot(@saltyfilmfolks fault) and decided to clean out the 10g QT tank for the fish. I filled it with rodi water and hooked up an aquaclear 30 packed with carbon. I've let it soak and cycle through carbon for 2 days and did a 100% waterchange. Since then it still has rodi water cycling through carbon. I did this in case any previously used meds where lingering in the tank. Right now I have fresh mixed saltwater to fill with and in addition I plan on taking a 4 hour round trip for some live rock tomorrow. Yes, its a long trip but so worth it.

The idea here is to get the new rock in the 10 gallon, let it do its little cycle for a week or two and then add my clowns, shrimp and goby, and then the cherub pygmy angel. Maybe not in that order. It will be a tight squeeze for them but I want to see how the tank fairs after a month or little longer. Meanwhile tearing down the main DT and getting it cleaned, ready, and cycled with new sand and rock.

If i'm missing anything, let me know.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. I hope my bad influence is a good one.

Picks of the new rock please. :)

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. I hope my bad influence is a good one.

Picks of the new rock please. :)
Driving back now but the good stuff is $6.50/lb and 3.50/lb for the not so purple stuff. I picked 4 lbs of the good and 3 lbs of the regular which were all in the same vat. Its some nice pieces. Actually had amphipods crawling on my hands while picking it. Also hoping for at least one bristleworm.
20171028_152053.jpg

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugg. A thing I'm not sure of. I belive there is a lack of blue and r y o. To inhibit alge growth in fowler light.
Ok, so I'll probably need to get a different light. I planned for one, just making sure. I'm really not in a hurry to light it up either.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not getting enough rock. We've all done it once? Right? Anyway, its fine for now. I do have to visit that area in a few weeks and can get more. Anyway, heres a pic of the little temporary 10 gallon.

20171030_191842.jpg

Side view
20171030_191946.jpg

Me being slightly bored for a second playing with lighting and phone app lol
20171030_192132.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. And you've left just the right room too. Plus the island , clam or colony space on the right will get filled in. Something tall behind it. PLENTY of negative space to be filled. Its well done.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. And you've left just the right room too. Plus the island , clam or colony space on the right will get filled in. Something tall behind it. PLENTY of negative space to be filled. Its well done.
Thank you. It would look nice the way you descibed it ;Happy However, I'm not so sure this will handle the current bioload ;Facepalm 2 clowns, cherub, shrimp and goby.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh , add em slow. Might need a house for the clowns.
;WootIt'll be great !

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh , add em slow. Might need a house for the clowns.
;WootIt'll be great !
Lol definitely adding slow. Ya I'm pushing limits here. Like I said, only temporary. Depending on when I start adding them it shouldn't take me but 1 or 2 months before they can move into the rebuild. I was considering fake anemones to help keep the clowns occupied? Once I add more rock the cherub can have more hiding spots. Argh..

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little tank update on the 30 gallon I'll be shutting down. I haven't dosed anything or tested parameters in 2 weeks. In this time, I've seen some weird changes. Mainly coral reactions. My toadstool leather started opening up and looking real nice and the so have some of my zoanthids. A few days ago I went ahead and checked ca and alk which came up as 420 and 7.2 dkh. Normally I keep my alk between 8-8.5 so it's a difference. Anyway, just letting the tank chill without any interaction. Mostly feeding fish and trying to keep them alive. Not so much the coral but they are hanging in there. In fact here is a a progression shot of my tri-color acro valida.

Day 1 of adding the frag. Can't remember the date
20161030_131041.jpg

Here it is today.
20171102_122848.jpg

Despite the tank conditions, this one seems okay.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back