OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not from the U.S. so I can't tell you who is offering those tests.
Maybe shoot the guys on the Triton forum here on R2R a question where to get one done.
I had the testkits from Redsea for a while, they were nice but did shown no difference in number than the half priced Salifert tests.
2Part is a good way to start, when you stabilize Alk you'll be good to go for more SPS :)
Well I just realized that I had been reading my Salifert test kit for Mag wrong and really overdosed Mag on my tank. The reading is 1680 ppm. Could that have killed off my SPS? I thought it was odd that my system was sucking mag so fast, turns out it wasn't. I feel pretty dumb at this point and I think getting Triton to test my water would be a good plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing with flow a bit since my Bta is getting upset again and going behind the rocks. I tried turning off the upper powerhead and left on the Jebao-RW 8 as the only flow in the tank. I'll see what happens. Any placement recommendations? I have a third generic powerhead I can use as well, although I might just replace the aqueon with it since it's getting less reliable.

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just realized that I had been reading my Salifert test kit for Mag wrong and really overdosed Mag on my tank. The reading is 1680 ppm. Could that have killed off my SPS? I thought it was odd that my system was sucking mag so fast, turns out it wasn't. I feel pretty dumb at this point and I think getting Triton to test my water would be a good plan.

Mhm might be a possibility. But I woldn't bet on that.
Getting a test done will 100% tell you, if there is a chemical problem.
Then no speculating is necessary :)
Keep us updated.
As for the nem I don' t have any tips.
Never had one.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just need to accept that the nem is going to do what it wants. I'm just afraid of it stinging my beautiful toadstool. I guess I'll just observe. Going to replace the aqueon power head today so I'm sure it will get passed all over again

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nem has settled in an acceptable area and all is well with the tank. Considering adding some more inverts to the tank. I am looking at a trio of skunk cleaners, a conch and some star fish. Not super set on any of them but the shrimp yet. I would love a linka star and a brittle star though. Going to start keeping an eye out for some!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49a980568b5c4cae949f94a3f40be234.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!
Thanks Rev! My tank was neglected a bit as happens with life but now I am paying a lot more attention to the tank and its paying off. I have my GHA under control and low nutrients. I have a small amount of Ich but management seems to be ok. Considering grabbing a 40 breeder and transfering all my fish to it for a fishless period but Ill literally have to break down the tank since my firefish hide in the baserock. Thanks for stopping by!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Haven't seen a system 2 since 2001-2002. I also had a 90-95g. The good ole days when we just used tap water.
Thanks. It's a relic for sure. Not the ideal setup but it works for what I need at the moment. Coral growth is decent and I have it nicely stocked. Tank brings me a ton of joy even if it isn't the fanciest in the world.

Mrwilcox281

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that matters is you enjoy it. Like you said, it's just a big biocube and look at all the awesome cubes out there.

Thanks. It's a relic for sure. Not the ideal setup but it works for what I need at the moment. Coral growth is decent and I have it nicely stocked. Tank brings me a ton of joy even if it isn't the fanciest in the world.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is about completely gone now, a combination of manual removal, gfo and my herbivores has done the trick. Ich seems to be managed with no signs in the last few week.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to come give a quick update. I don't have any pics to upload at this time.

My tank has really taken a back seat to my life over the last year. There has been a significant amount of die off of most of my SPS and LPS. It has just been due to plain neglect. During that time we lost my Foxface (not really sure why, just died one day) Firefish (jumping) and fairy wrasse (jumping). I have a lid but I did not secure it properly when I lost the jumpers.

I have gotten back to the tank recently and scrapped off all the coraline (well most of it) and gotten back to regular water changes. The toadstool and BTAs are the strongest performers in the tank and are doing very well.

My local friend from grad school tore down his 29g biocube over the weekend and gave me all his livestock. I added a pair of adult clowns and a royal gramma along with a large finger leather (perhaps sinularia but not all that green) some good gsp, mushrooms, some monti cap, a half dead birds nest and a few small lps (already seen die off). His tank had some pretty looking macro in it so I transfered some of that as well.

Although I have been getting back into the tank I have realized that I don't have the time to be maintaining it all the time (I guess thats just my tank personality) so I am now looking at adding more macro algae to fill in the tank and help with filtration.

So any additions in the near future will likely be limited to macro algae for now.

The new fish have bolstered my ranks if you will, giving us a Flame Angel, Leopard Wrasse, 2 Clowns (I think they are black photon variety) and the Royal Gramma. They make up a good little community. I will say that I have had much better luck with adult fish, already established in captivity than fish from the LFS. All the fish in the tank right now I got fully grown from local reefers in the area and they have done great. I highly doubt that I will ever buy another fish from a LFS.

I will upload some pictures once I take them and get the tank cleaned up a bit more.

Its been pretty fun to look back at my posts years back and see what the tank was like in its full glory and where it came from. I am hoping this post will not only hold me accountable for restoring my tank but also serve as a reminder in the future of what the tank was like.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FkkDzqZ.jpg

Here are the clowns. The female is about 3 inches long. I am not sure but they seem to be Black Photons?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add that I just picked up a flipper magnet for my tank and dang! This is the only magnet cleaner that I will ever use for acrylic tanks again! Even the plastic blade makes quick work of coraline algae.

I also have a new set of ATI bulbs for my Tek t5 lighting and got an Icecap 3K Gyre powerhead as well. I am looking foward to my tank getting back in order

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New bulbs and new wavemaker came in.

I put in 2 Purple + bulbs to start. Any advice on how soon to add the next two bulbs? I am trying to avoid light shock.

The Icecap 3k is pretty cool. I added 7 mesh plastic canvas as an anemone guard and have it surging up to 60% at 1.5s intervals. It was super loud to start but after reading a few message board posts I found the advice to run it in alternating gyre mode for a bit to break it in. I tried it and it is an order of magnitude quieter now, even on the original mode I set it on. Seems to push a lot of water and it is much more low profile in my tank.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a 36" actinic sBar from SB Reef Lights. I have it attached to the wall of my canopy with double sided tape lol. It gives the tank the pop that I missed with LEDs and I am sure it is increasing par as well.

I will say that the lenses are a bit narrow, causing the light to be a bit uneven in the tank. I am sure if I hung the lights off the water more this wouldn't be an issue but given that they are mounted about 3 inches off the water line, coverage is not the best. A second sBar at the back would solve this problem, which I will probably try in the event I get a deeper tank... speaking of which...

In other news I am planning an upgrade. After over 3 years of running this tank (my longest running tank so far!), the compromises made have become more clear. I am going to upgrade to a 120 gallon tank, with a traditional sump. The AIO design is just not optimal for a large reef tank. I want to get more space for my aquascape and for fish to swim around. I think the extra 6 inches will make a big difference for me, especially since the back 4 inches of my tank is currently the filtration compartment.

The build does not have an exact timeline but I am starting the research and collecting the equipment. My current tank will remain running until the livestock are moved over.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new fish in yesterday. She is a Kole Tang. Got her from a local reefer who was tearing down their tank. A bit aggressive right now but hopefully she settles down.
978421022074feeb8e3cce48daaa0c55.jpg
334aa41c88e14e0fc51e807eb4a4ddd0.jpg
16c559ab391fccb60631f9851876b715.jpg
657ffc5b6bf6309c262ddb9c2f6499d9.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back