OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its come a long way. Love the leopard wrasse.
Thanks! She is nice and fat. She eats Omega One flake but gets LRS reef frenzy biweekly as well. My flame angel harasses the wrasses but they manage

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some sps losses unfortunately. Lost my big montis, birdsnest, acro and some pollicipora. My purple staghorn, some montis and polliciopa are growing well though. Going to focus more on sofites and LPS from now on. Open to fish stocking suggestions!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160804_112516.jpg

New addition! He is pretty big! Over 3 inches for sure. Pretty cool guy but still a bit shy. Hopefully he will realize that nothing in the tank will hurt him soon.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched up the flow just the tiniest bit overnight (2 days ago now) to let some mushrooms attach and my nems decided to take a walk. One ended on the clear other side of the tank and the other behind the rock work. The one behind the rockwork eventually made its way out to the front be dangerously close to my prized toadstool leather. Not wanting to risk the loss of my largest coral I removed the BTA manually. I just used my fingers to slowly pry him off the rock and after about 5 minutes of gently pushing on his foot I had him free. I placed him back on his original perch hoping the with restored flow he will be happy. I checked the foot and there is no visible damage! Successful intervention so far, just hope he can find a place where he is happy.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem detached again but I was able to get it to reattach. Hasn't really reinflatted much which is working but at least it's attached.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24c2792d73b7f901cf675a4c360f993c.jpg
ddec70e98a5b53e7c1b23df50a66bb58.jpg
0eb4211969f86dfcc8320d9dab7f6544.jpg
590d25fa1b483d33989d9600fc2068da.jpg
8abba6dbf90c7eb1cc553383842f7abf.jpg
ed27d5d9d9593c0af3b982ed0c20fb6b.jpg

Got a new tripod so snapped some pics. Let me know what you think!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock work looks really good.
Beautiful tank you got yourself there.
The big mushroom leather looks awesome :)
Thanks I appreciate that. It's actually something I feel a bit self conscious about since I felt it was very "wall of rock" but my tank is so narrow I didn't feel like I could do much else. The toadstool is my favorite piece for sure!

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mhm I don' t think it looks like a rock wall.
More like a small reef rim :)
Are you more into Softies and LPS?
I read that you had some SPS but they unfortunately didn't do well. Did you figure out what went wrong ? And do you consider to add any in the future?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mhm I don' t think it looks like a rock wall.
More like a small reef rim :)
Are you more into Softies and LPS?
I read that you had some SPS but they unfortunately didn't do well. Did you figure out what went wrong ? And do you consider to add any in the future?
I'm trying to stock up on softies now. I had an Alk spike, I think I was over dosing. I still have a handful of hardy sps including a monticaps, purple staghorn acro and some pollicipora. I am not sure if I will get more, I really want a pink birdsnest but my last one died so I'm not sure. I hate killing corals and right now I'm essentially just trying to fill out the tank. I love LPS and want a frogspawn more acans and more Duncan's. I want the tank to be less sensitive so I can enjoy it and not be stressed about losses. Perhaps when I have a more sophisticated set up I might try sps again, or when I get better test kits to track alk.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress. I like your fish choices!
Thanks! I added the flame too early so he is a bit territorial but I love him. I got him "used" from another reefer and he could not be more hardy so I'm happy with him. Definitely a fish that made me go to salt so I am keeping him and adjusting everything else around him. The Leopard wrasse is a favorite as well. I plan on added two clownfish again and perhaps one more fish after that, but I'm not sure. I'd like an anthias or yellow tang but we will see.

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan.
Did you consider doing a professional water test, to see were you are at?
Normally birdsnest tend to be quite easy to care for. Maybe there is some stuff not in balance chemical wise?
I mean besides the Alk :)

How do you supply alk and so on right now?
Balling?

Acans and duncans are some of my favorites (that comes from a SPS only guy ;) )!
Can't have enough of them :)

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan.
Did you consider doing a professional water test, to see were you are at?
Normally birdsnest tend to be quite easy to care for. Maybe there is some stuff not in balance chemical wise?
I mean besides the Alk :)

How do you supply alk and so on right now?
Balling?

Acans and duncans are some of my favorites (that comes from a SPS only guy ;) )!
Can't have enough of them :)
I have not considered a test like but would be interested to see the results. Where would you get that done? I use BRS two part with a Jebao DP4 doser. I use API kits right now so I want to upgrade to RedSea before I get more SPS and kill them. I need to have a better understanding of my parameters for sure. I am very impressed with the growth on my Montis and Purple staghorn and it makes me want more sps for sure.

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not considered a test like but would be interested to see the results. Where would you get that done? I use BRS two part with a Jebao DP4 doser. I use API kits right now so I want to upgrade to RedSea before I get more SPS and kill them. I need to have a better understanding of my parameters for sure. I am very impressed with the growth on my Montis and Purple staghorn and it makes me want more sps for sure.

I'm not from the U.S. so I can't tell you who is offering those tests.
Maybe shoot the guys on the Triton forum here on R2R a question where to get one done.
I had the testkits from Redsea for a while, they were nice but did shown no difference in number than the half priced Salifert tests.
2Part is a good way to start, when you stabilize Alk you'll be good to go for more SPS :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back