Reefers' Rules: An Old School Perspective

Wendi1bird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must understand how food and nutrients, in all of forms, are used in the reef tank.
Where do I find this information? I have been here a year and a half and wish I had these rules to begin with... where do I do this research or what do I need to read?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great rules list!

I'm in no way really experienced but would add some rule to the effect of (((not going to bother trying to word this well))):

Stuff happens -- equipment failures, power outages, etc.
Be prepared to handle any and everything (possible) that could possibly cause major catastrophe.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I find this information? I have been here a year and a half and wish I had these rules to begin with... where do I do this research or what do I need to read?
Finding understandable information about all the ways that food and nutrients are used in a reef tank is difficult. I won't claim to be an expert on this subject. In fact, many that I respect greatly have disagreed with the some of the details of my understanding. I did try to communicate that understanding in an article posted here at R2R. Click here to read it. I started running my tank with the information in the article in mind and things improved steadily. Rule #1 still applies though. I have a ways to go.

The search function @ R2R works great also. There is some really great information out there. It's a little frustrating at first. Once you get a feel for the words or phrases to search, and see the same names popping up over and over about the subject, the searches become easier and more fruitful.

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES, YES, YEEES!

I dislike black and white answers, especially “NOTHING good happens fast in a reef tank”. It’s so unhelpful and not an accurate statement. What’s even the point of that advice? What constitutes as fast?

If a fish is in a tank with ammonia, should one not add bottled bacteria to decrease the ammonia? That is a certainly fast solution. Or should you be slow and just let the fish suffocate?

Sometimes we need to act quick. Saying “never do things fast” is not helpful IMO.
The advice we get out of that is 'have freaking patience!'

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#6 is spot on for me. I try to give this advice to anyone doing a set-up, or purchasing equipment. If you cannot reach your hoses, valves, pumps etc for easy maintenance, you will put it off until it becomes an emergency. Human nature. I would only add that maybe a maintenance schedule is a good idea to put in place.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#6 is spot on for me. I try to give this advice to anyone doing a set-up, or purchasing equipment. If you cannot reach your hoses, valves, pumps etc for easy maintenance, you will put it off until it becomes an emergency. Human nature. I would only add that maybe a maintenance schedule is a good idea to put in place.
I didn't add a schedule to the rule list 'casue unfortunately for my tank I'd violate it regularly! :cool:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article & thanks for sharing. I totally agree on all those points but want to provide a little feedback on #2 re: change. From my perspective, sometimes a change (albeit slowly by adhering to Rule #1) might be necessary to "correct course". For example, organisms grow which puts the nutrient import/export equation out of whack, neglect due to other [family] obligations, equipment degradation/failure, etc. I feel that change may not be bad but perhaps warranted, provided that one should approach it slowly and methodically. That is -- only change one parameter at a time, test & validate. My 2c

REEFER’S RULE #2: Change is bad… Even when it is good!
Making changes to an established system may set it back no matter how beneficial the change may be. Stability is the key to maintaining a sustainable and amazing reef. That stability extends to every part of the environment, measurable or not.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back