ReefGrammie's 90-Gallon Reboot

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and you shall receive! I stopped at 11....made myself sign out of CC! ;Happy

For the 90:
CC5 JF Altered Ego.jpg

CC5 ATL Red STAR cyphastrea.jpg

CC5 Coral Madness Aussic Acan.jpg

For the BioCube:
CC5 Spitfire zoa.jpg

CC5 Rainbow Tempest.jpg

CC5 OG Bam Bam Zoa.jpg

CC5 Blowpop zoa.jpg

CC5 Coral Madness OG Utter Chaos.jpg

CC5 Fruit Loop zoa.jpg

CC5 Raspberry Lime zoas.jpg

CC5 Blondie zoa.jpg

Attachments

• CC5 Raspberry Lime zoas.jpg
    CC5 Raspberry Lime zoas.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be there till Saturday. they shipping this week for you?
I think mine are supposed to arrive Friday, which is my short work day. I'll have plenty to do then....plus I can have everything placed before the husband gets home and sees a new box-o-water!

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired! Just did a w/c on both tanks. I guess as long as I can keep lugging water jugs, I'll keep reefing! I do love my new Hanna salinity checker. That is so much easier than using the refractometer....except I don't get to pretend I'm a pirate anymore. Oh well, I'll take convenience over being a pirate. It's spot on with my refractometer, so I guess I believe the readings.

Calcium was slightly low, so I added another dose to the dosing pump. Alk is maintaining steady at 7. Since it's a little warmer today, I'm making a bunch of RO/DI water and filling up the ATO reservoir.

The naughty duo are still in the BioCube. Tang is doing great in the 90. I may try moving the clown back in another week or two....that will be his last chance. If he messes up, he will take up permanent residence in the BioCube. I think the tang might be fine this time since he's all over the tank and seems much more "confident."

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the greatest picture, but new additions in the bottom front have been added to the cube. I added a few more pieces of shelf rock. Naughty duo are still in place. I may work on more rearranging tomorrow....need more super glue!

1.jpg

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the greatest picture, but new additions in the bottom front have been added to the cube. I added a few more pieces of shelf rock. Naughty duo are still in place. I may work on more rearranging tomorrow....need more super glue!

1.jpg
I love that the misbehaving fish are basically banished to the shadow realm

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quiet around here...not much going on, but the weirdest thing happened yesterday in the 90. I was totally freaking out for awhile. After the lights came on, I noticed that long strings on ALL of my acro frags. They all looked they were covered in some weird green algae, literally overnight! I took the tongs and managed to get some of the strings off, but I kept thinking, what on earth happened here, and how did this happen overnight? The corals looked great the previous night.

As the day went on, the strings gradually started disappearing, or I could see some of them in the tank blowing around. It finally dawned on me what must have happened. This is purely speculation, but it's the ONLY thing I can come up with that makes sense.

I think I chunk of something broke free in the refugium and went over the wall and into the return pump, which spewed it out into the main tank. I think all of those pieces of whatever it is just wrapped around the acro frags as they were blown around with the flow. I have a huge chunk of chaeto in there, but I always have hair algae and other random stuff in there. I turn the chaeto every once in a while, but hadn't done that lately. At least everything looks great today...I was sick to my stomach thinking about what had happened to my acros!

If I'm feeling overly brave tomorrow, I may move the clown back to the 90. He and the evil damsel are still doing fine in the BioCube, but I'd like to give the clown one more chance. The Kole tang has grown a little and it definitely more brave. Nobody bothers him, other than the pygmy angel takes a cheap shot on occasion, but the tang doesn't run and hide now. I'll have the acclimation box ready for him. For some reason, the clown swims in the acclimation box every time I put it in the tank....weird fish. Fingers crossed!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quiet around here...not much going on, but the weirdest thing happened yesterday in the 90. I was totally freaking out for awhile. After the lights came on, I noticed that long strings on ALL of my acro frags. They all looked they were covered in some weird green algae, literally overnight! I took the tongs and managed to get some of the strings off, but I kept thinking, what on earth happened here, and how did this happen overnight? The corals looked great the previous night.

As the day went on, the strings gradually started disappearing, or I could see some of them in the tank blowing around. It finally dawned on me what must have happened. This is purely speculation, but it's the ONLY thing I can come up with that makes sense.

I think I chunk of something broke free in the refugium and went over the wall and into the return pump, which spewed it out into the main tank. I think all of those pieces of whatever it is just wrapped around the acro frags as they were blown around with the flow. I have a huge chunk of chaeto in there, but I always have hair algae and other random stuff in there. I turn the chaeto every once in a while, but hadn't done that lately. At least everything looks great today...I was sick to my stomach thinking about what had happened to my acros!

If I'm feeling overly brave tomorrow, I may move the clown back to the 90. He and the evil damsel are still doing fine in the BioCube, but I'd like to give the clown one more chance. The Kole tang has grown a little and it definitely more brave. Nobody bothers him, other than the pygmy angel takes a cheap shot on occasion, but the tang doesn't run and hide now. I'll have the acclimation box ready for him. For some reason, the clown swims in the acclimation box every time I put it in the tank....weird fish. Fingers crossed!
Good luck moving baby clown! Fingers crossed everyone gets along!

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck moving baby clown! Fingers crossed everyone gets along!

Thanks! Since he's been out so long, I'm worried everybody is going to launch an attack against baby clown! He's a pretty tough old fish, though. I've about decided that the damsel either stays in the BioCube or goes back to the LFS. I'm not taking a chance on trying to trap that fish again!

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. Clown has been rehomed for about 2 hours now, which is about and hour and 55 minutes longer than the last attempt! Poor little tang immediately went and hid in the corner by the downspout and I thought, oh no, here we go again. He's fine now and is back to picking at the rocks. Clown is in the corner, trying to stay away from the pygmy angel. Those two have always despised each other and nothing has changed there. Clown isn't putting up with it, so the angel will back off. Not a great picture, but there he is!

Clown back in tank.jpg

Those two are the "oldest" in my tank. I've had Baby Clown since November of 2008. I upgraded to the 90 in December of 2013 and got the pygmy angel probably in early 2014. They've been going at it ever since. Since nobody gets hurt and it's been the same way for years, I don't stress about it. I guess tank of all perfectly-behaved fish is impossible....unless there's only one fish in the tank (just ask the lone damsel in the BioCube).

Whatever that junk was flying around the tank a few days ago, which I suspected was from the refugium, must not be hair algae. The tang found a chunk of it and ate it, so I guess it's pretty good stuff.

I did some more work on the BioCube, gluing a few more frags. I need to just leave it alone for a while (yeah, right ;Hilarious)! Water for the w/c is ready, so back to work I go!

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are still out, but I can see that Baby Clown found his clown corner last night. I'm glad he behaved well enough to be moved back into the 90.

I'm still not taking a chance on the damsel, but I'm thinking about adding one more fish to the BioCube. I had originally planned for the BioCube to be a peaceful tank with two small fish, a little firefish and yellow clown goby or maybe a small wrasse, but it's not shaping up that way. I know I couldn't add any of those now with that devil damsel in there.

I've had two of the purple pseudochromis over the years and both of them were the most horrible fish in the tank. They are such a beautiful color, which may be why I had amnesia and bought the second one. One of those would be small enough for the BioCube and might be the only thing more evil than the damsel. The other choice is to take the damsel back to the LFS and go my peaceful route with the BioCube. I'm still deciding on that one.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back