Reefi leds, has anyone tried them

Aquanaut WA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing since '98 and have witnessed many improvements and trends. I am not prone to taking risks with my progressive reef. So it is no surprise that it has taken me two years to decide on the light upgrade for my dense mixed reef.

I required: >150par @ 48", >100*optics, 395nmUV, whisper quiet, simple UI, component repairable, remote IP accessible, and Budget Friendly.

Daniel Lu presented a live demo of ReeFi lamps whereby, meeting all my requirements. In addition, he implemented further improvements of the UI including noise reduction. I can say these are light weight and reasonably quiet.
There are 6 over my 250DD 60"x36x27 for extreme coverage. I find them very powerful and deep penetrating shimmer. Wide 4" crossbar? No cast shadow when positioned properly. I have them mounted in a elevating canopy 18" above glass tops. I chose the Reefi to replace my 4 Helios 180w+t5. Excellent customer service, even video-chat of set up too. 36"x36" coverage is fantastic, similar to 150w light cannons. Im loving the customizable channels that include the 395UV. Its the one spectrum missing in most sets with the exception of 400w halides, at this intensity and gets SPS to regain the sunbeam fluorescing I lost 4yrs ago when I removed my Radiums. I have been increasing my perimeter Reefi power to 50% and lowering the center lamps to 40%, due to a LPS maze brain top burn that is 14" deep on the reef. All others are having daytime PE and measurable growth within the 3weeks ReeFi has been running. And as advertised, the lamps quickly recovered their sync several times during storm power-loss. Firmware wireless updates are easiest yet compared to other brands, just select IP lamp and update. I love the temporary set feature for trying new looks and showing off these settings that revert after 30min to resume schedule. Or "apply" to keep new setting. Simple UI select and drag, no laborious written code sequences. Any mobile wifi device can sync to the IP Reefi, alike high end DSLRs. Just, well thought out conveniences by a Programmer turned Reef Aficionado. I look forward to replacing my FOWLER black boxes shortly.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very competitive pricing vs Kessil. Impressive programming as well. Very well done. The Styling falls a bit short for me. However the control and automation is superior. For that I would save money for this. Unfortunately, pendants aren't my style. Very cool product though! Well done!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very competitive pricing vs Kessil. Impressive programming as well. Very well done. The Styling falls a bit short for me. However the control and automation is superior. For that I would save money for this. Unfortunately, pendants aren't my style. Very cool product though! Well done!

Agreed. Not the best looking light but the specs are great. I'd love to see it in action and see some PAR readings.

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live nearby him and have met Daniel at various aquarium meetings. I finally decided to try one out and so far I am liking the color and control. Once I got past some of the bugs getting connected the first time. The corals and anemones are reacting to it well. You cant beat it for the price for sure. Considering a Kessil 360 is $400 and doesn't give you near the control as the REEFi

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a good pendant style light for the simplicity and clean looks. No reason to have it hooked to the APEX

Aquanaut WA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am impressed at the dynamic shimmering color on Corals and fish on the Reefi. I have 6 on my 250g deep dimension. And I have 2 more lamps comming any day now that are replacing a reefbreeder on a 110g tall FOWLER I have. Very powerful penetrating "cannon style" lights. I'm up to 55% in the last +30 days compared to 75% on Helios 180s.

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is only 2 weeks old so its pretty bare and with just one REEFi lit up to see the coverage. This is a 6 foot tank so the spread is pretty good as you can see. I don't have a PAR meter though to measure the output. This is with the actual lense just 7 inches from the water. I could raise it up a little for a little more coverage

I'm ordering another light from him and taking down my black boxes and extra wiring. Gonna see how well just 2 of the REEFi lights will do for the whole 6ft tank. I'm not growing SPS just anemones and softies going in this tank

125g.jpg

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new version does look pretty slick. But I'm kinda partial to the cannon style lights. I'm also curious if you have any of the older versions in stock

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the new Reefis over my frag tank, and I love them. Super powerful, and wonderful full spectrum color, with each color controllable on its own channel. Excellent color blending (i.e. no disco ball effect) and almost no lateral light spillage.

VgOd3wv.jpg

5HiFtmo.jpg

Back