Reefing and R2R Newbie

At 55 years old, I'm new to the R2R site and the reefing hobby, though I had maintained quite a few freshwater tanks as a youth. My son is the aquatics lead at a LFS. He gave me a 10g starter tanks as a birthday gift earlier this year which has fueled my interest in learning (and increased father-son conversations and bonding as he clearly "...knows more than the ol' man ;)). That tank has done well and I've learned quite a bit, but I soon realized I wanted something a bit larger. Fast forward 6 month, I just finished building out a 40B/20L display and sump combo that I'm in the process of cycling and starting as a mixed reef tank (i.e softies and LPS). And I'm looking forward to continuing to learn and grow in both.

Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great hobby to span the generations and promote family bonding. You must be proud of your son.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new