Reefing Hobby and Natural Reefs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bato367
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bato367

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
353
Reaction score
369
Location
western Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Barrier Reef has deteriorated to 'critical' level due to climate change - ABC News (go.com)

In response to ever grim news, do you know/believe that our hobby has a positive affect on natural reefs or a negative affect? Why or why not? Are there things our hobby/industry is doing to help natural reefs?

I love our hobby but one thing (primarily years ago) that I hated about the hobby was that live rock was ripped right from natural reefs. Now of course we have better options.

Not looking to start an internet argument or delve into politics, I am just curious about how the industry is doing good or bad for natural reefs? I honestly don't know the answer.

Have a good day.
 
When I was in college in the late 1980's one of my professors had done studies about reef fishes, so I connected with the hobby and the "fishing" techniques of the time. I wonder if anything has really changed.

Net caught fishing were being pushed back in the early 2000's? Here is an article from 2007 https://www.tfhmagazine.com/article...lection-by-indonesian-collectors-full-article


Here are more recent articles that delve into the use of cyanide for collection of marine ornamentals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5529361/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-we-ever-have-cyanide-free-aquarium-fish-180963255/
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/reef_fish_in_peril/pdfs/Poisoned_waters.pdf
 
I don't think it has much of a positive affect, and the only negativity seems to come from wild caught fish and coral, however if one day life in the oceans went bye bye, there could be a chance of replenishing at least some life from corals/fish and stuff from the reefing hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new