Reefing on a budget...biocube? Anything else?

Meatball_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, happy friday -

So I'm looking to come back from a little break from reefing. I had a nice 40 breeder reef going with LED lights, sump, skimmer, etc. I came back from a vacation to have the tank crash. The tank was cracked from awhile back and repaired, and I just ended up throwing it out as I didn't want to risk it breaking. I just bought a new house and would like to start a new tank. I'm somewhat broke though from the house buying and I would like to keep things within a reasonable budget.

Ideally I would get a new larger tank. But I would need to either buy it drilled ($$$) or buy a drill, bulkhead and box and do it myself. I'm not totally sure I'm up for all that with a new house and two small children. Just too much time and effort right now. So I started looking into something a bit smaller, like a biocube. This option is starting to look not bad, I can use my old LED lights, and I suppose just do it without a sump. It looks like you can put a skimmer in the back of the unit as well. I've attached a picture, does the skimmer go in the chamber with the pump? Also, is there a way to put chaeto in there? It doesn't look like there is a way to put a small light back there for the chaeto. I'd like to use my lights, so I'd most likely leave the top off. Although it might look kind of ugly having the filtration parts exposed.

What is everyone's opinion on the Biocube? Is there anything equivalent? Like a small (32 - 40g), all in one unit? Or any other suggestions for a tank on a budget?

Thanks!

biocube.PNG

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a 40 breeder with one of those all in one inserts if you didn’t want to deal with drilling. Would be about the same or less than a bio cube but with a bigger footprint.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back