Reefing Peer Pressure: What do you feel pressured to do?

Have you ever felt "peer pressure" in this hobby when it comes to maintaining your aquarium?

• Yes (please share in the thread)

Votes: 100 29.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 234 68.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today we're going to talk about reefing peer pressure as it pertains to how you maintain a saltwater reef aquarium.

Let me preface this topic today by saying that there is a difference in peer pressure and sound aquarium advice. The discussion today pertains not to advice but pressure to keep a reef aquarium according to the standards of someone else or it's not a good way. Also please keep this on the topic of your aquarium and not get personal or discuss companies please! Those posts will be removed.

Peer pressure is real and it even happens in our hobby! I don't think it's a purposeful pressure but there are pressures nonetheless. I'm sure I have inadvertently contributed before but I have also given in to reefing peer pressure. So what is reefing peer pressure? It could be pressure to house only specific types of corals in your tank, buy certain types of equipment, keep only specific fish and so on and on. So today let's talk about that!

Have you ever felt "peer pressure" in this hobby when it comes to maintaining your aquarium and if so what have they been?

REEFING PEER PRESSURE.jpg

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very expensive brands have gotten all the online stores to push their products on everyone. Not everyone needs to spend to a fortune on their tanks. Everyone in saltwater seems to be trying to push the idea of a nice medium size tank must cost half a new car.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely. People have been telling me for years that I can't run a reverse undergravel filter as it is a nitrate factory.
I have been told numerous times that my tank won't be able to house SPS corals because it's to dirty.
People tell me that my preference of not quarantining is playing Russian Roulette even though I can't speak Russian.
People tell me I can't use NSW because it is polluted. Etc.

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Though thankfully not here on R2R! Most of the folks I've had the pleasure of interacting with here have been very patient and accepting of my 'tank-style' choices. :D

In other places (Reddit etc) I get pressure over my six line wrasse, Sushi, who has always been the sweetest little angel. He even likes to play tickle fingers! Terrified of cameras though. I can't get a photo. I've also been told that if you don't have at least a 50g sized tank, you shouldn't bother and don't belong.

Sometimes I indirectly pressure myself through information oversaturation, if that makes sense. I'll feel it while reading a lot of the threads where there is a bunch of fancy equipment or expensive livestock and knowledge backed by years of experience.

It can be a little bit intimidating and I feel a sort of pressure to try and rush to be equally amazing. But this is not a hobby where anything can be rushed, so I manage my expectations and keep plugging along with what I've got until I can do 'better'.

It also reminds me of what a small fish I am in the ocean of reef keeping. I still have such a long way to go. I just have to remind myself that it isn't a race. It's a marathon. :)

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we're going to talk about reefing peer pressure as it pertains to how you maintain a saltwater reef aquarium.

Let me preface this topic today by saying that there is a difference in peer pressure and sound aquarium advice. The discussion today pertains not to advice but pressure to keep a reef aquarium according to the standards of someone else or it's not a good way. Also please keep this on the topic of your aquarium and not get personal or discuss companies please! Those posts will be removed.

Peer pressure is real and it even happens in our hobby! I don't think it's a purposeful pressure but there are pressures nonetheless. I'm sure I have inadvertently contributed before but I have also given in to reefing peer pressure. So what is reefing peer pressure? It could be pressure to house only specific types of corals in your tank, buy certain types of equipment, keep only specific fish and so on and on. So today let's talk about that!

Have you ever felt "peer pressure" in this hobby when it comes to maintaining your aquarium and if so what have they been?

I was going to reply "No I have not" @revhtree but then I looked at your picture and said "That's me, I identify with that poor soul" I was in a not so friendly group on FB when I started out everything posted a was shaming. "No that's not what you should do" "You added what to your tank?!?" "You put GSP in the tank, say goodbye to your corals" blah, blah, blah... I finally got wise and created an R2R account and found out what real reefers do ;) Now I just have to combat the pressure of buying new reef toys and exotic creatures LOL:)

Did someone say...
giphy.gif

????????????? Haha

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel an immense amount of pressure from my peers. They insist I harass you into posting more pictures of your system! :p ;Troll

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other and the reason why is as follows. I have chosen to stock my tank in a way that if i didn't time my pictures right for my build thread I am almost positive I would get negative feedback such as you cant have that tang in a 60 gallon tank. Now I know that they will outgrow the current tank i have but I am currently planning a 180 gallon upgrade where they will be just fine.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always peer pressure especially when it comes to equipment. If you manually test or manually does you get asked why not use a controller or doser? like you are doing it wrong. Maybe you cant afford it maybe you just like being hands on. But you get looked at like you are not doing it right, I dont see it much here. Everyone is pretty cool about all that but other places like facebook groups they have no chill about them.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I feel any pressure to do is to only post pictures when my tank has been freshly cleaned.

It’s just like the sort of pressure I feel to have my apartment clean.

As a recently divorced guy, I’ve found it’s always a good idea to keep your apartment clean - you never know when someone is going to go home with you!

I guess the same is sort of true about your tank...

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some well intended aquarists have offered "advice" … sometimes in an overconfident way … and it could be my interpretation but sometimes I can heard them saying (only in my mind) "Are you kidding … it HAS to be done this way!" Again … not intentionally "bullying" … just assertive advice.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling peer pressure, regardless of the subject, is a personal choice. Either you're comfortable enough in your own skin, skills, opinions, etc, to disregard other people's opinions, or you're not.

If you're susceptible to peer pressure regarding your tank, it's likely that susceptibility extends to other, far more important, aspects of your life.

Quit it.

It's your life. Live it your way.

I've got a friend, clinically depressed, that hates my kind of advice... Don't be so down :D

She just shakes her head, tells me I don't understand. She's right. I don't. I long ago decided that how I feel about myself is up to me. The only opinions that matter are mine, and those I choose to give weight to... my wife, daughters, a few, very few, close friends.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily a bad peer pressure.
But I've talked about getting corals, my tank is FOWLR currently but I am hesitant to jump into corals (i know myself and I am gonna be obsessive over my corals when I get them).

Everyone keeps making hints for me to start now with some frags. I just wanna wait a little longer. :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Have you ever felt "peer pressure" in this hobby when it comes to maintaining your aquarium and if so what have they been? "
;) Yes, I have, and one of these days I may just get around to making that build thread!;Playful JK

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling peer pressure, regardless of the subject, is a personal choice. Either you're comfortable enough in your own skin, skills, opinions, etc, to disregard other people's opinions, or you're not.

If you're susceptible to peer pressure regarding your tank, it's likely that susceptibility extends to other, far more important, aspects of your life.

Quit it.

It's your life. Live it your way.

I've got a friend, clinically depressed, that hates my kind of advice... Don't be so down :D

She just shakes her head, tells me I don't understand. She's right. I don't. I long ago decided that how I feel about myself is up to me. The only opinions that matter are mine, and those I choose to give weight to... my wife, daughters, a few, very few, close friends.

Or another way to look at what you just said is a person feels peer pressure to not feel peer pressure. :p

I’m going to say you’re advice is good advice, but it’s hard for someone who is lacking confidence and self esteem to suddenly get these things. I can’t speak for all people but for me, my confidence comes from my experiences where I persevered in extreme and dire situations.

The confidence I gained from those situations has spilled over into the rest of my life.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back