Made some fish food tonight. Thanks Jnarowe for your detailed guide. Here is the link.
http://home.wavecable.com/~jrowe/DIY%20Fish%20Food%20Procedure.htm
I went to my local publix and they had some specials. The recipe includes the following
- PE Mysis: 1/2 package
- Tilapia: 1/2 a fillet
- Swordfish: 1/2 a fillet
- Scallops: 3 small scallops
- Wild Shrimp (uncooked): 8-10
- 1 sheet Julia Sprung Sea Veggies (Green)
- Vitamin C Food Soak
- Selcon
Total raw ingredient cost was somewhere around $25 total but I only used about 1/4 of what I purchased. The rest will be going to feed me. I think I should be able to feed the tank for about 2 months with this amount of food... very rough estimate.
All fresh ingredients were tested to see if the fish like them and then minced as small as I can chop them. The PE mysis remained unchopped and the algae was cut into thing strips as recommended by J.
All the raw ingredients were soaked in RO and then rinse 5 more times with RO as well. Then water was drained as much as possible, some selcon, vitamin C, minced garlic and the algae strips were all mixed together in a bowl and left to soak. They were then put in a ziplock bag, flattened, and the mix is currently freezing. First trial run of the whole thing will be in about an hour. Looks pretty good so far.