Reefingbuddha's 300 DD

diatom is a type of alge...right?

They are but are singular celled and not what I (I can't speak for other as I am not an expert) consider as algae when dealing with algae problems. Diatoms, a lot of the time, are caused by old filters in the RO/DI unit.

You are right though, they are algae.
 
Diatoms indeed. That's the word I was looking for. I think it may be flow related and adjustment to the new intensity of lighting.

Levels are still not noticeable. I'm changing out carbon and rowa this weekend.

The ribbons a good idea, I'll give that a go.
 
Buddha, got my Vlamingi ;-)

IMG_3463.jpg
 
Tank Par Readings. Maybe I need to add another white bulb and clean the guard and reflectors a bit. You can also see some of the new rock, even though not all of it is in its final location.

The top number is with just the dawn/dusk bulbs on (4x blue + bulbs). The bottom number is full blown (12x 80w t5)

TankPar.jpg
 
That is sweet!
 
Thanks guys... as you can imagine its hardly that clean now. I've also changed a few things around in there as more stuff was add, changed, or automated. I'll take some more pictures in a week or two when I have more time.
 
Got a real camcorder today. Now I can finally share some attempts at decent video.

10 Red Tail Cardinalfish (about 1" long)
DFS Undata

Here's a quick video of the Undata
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjZrcO-Tks[/youtube]
 
Last edited:
And one of the flow. Usually I don't dump the food in like that but it gives a idea of the flow. I changed the gyre direction at the 55 second mark to show how quickly the flow changes.

Let me know what you think. Make sure to watch it in 720p.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B9L35m__-Y[/youtube]
 
The 10 cardinals are schooling and are an AWESOME addition, really wish I could get my hands on another 5-10 of them. And the cleaner shrimp is preggers... a ton of yellow eggs are hanging on her, so we'll see how that plays out. I'm sure it will just be more live food for the tank.
 
Here are some pictures

Tank with actinics
DSC_4839.jpg


Cardinals in frag tank
DSC_4896.jpg


drip acclimating
DSC_4901.jpg


and in the tank
DSC_4994.jpg

DSC_5024.jpg


3 of the anthias seem to be having a go at being males. Here's the biggest flashing around his dominance. The yellow strip on its side is getting more and more prominent.
DSC_5126.jpg

DSC_4930.jpg


A corals shot
DSC_51721.jpg


And just two little critters hanging out.
DSC_4885.jpg
 
Oh man ... the more of these Large reef tanks I see ... the more I want to set one up ... in 15 years of reefing ... I still haven't gone over a 120. lol. :)

Beautiful tank so far!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new