Reefkeeper Elite and Apex controllers

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Guys I am fairly brand new at this and they say that there are No stupid questions but I think I may have one for you.

The monitoring systems like ReefKeeper and Apex. Do they keep a constant check on parameters of NO2, NO3, NO4, Ca, Mg, Salinity, etc.........??? This doesn't eliminate the need for certain Testing equipment does it???

Also do they serve as an auto water top off or do they control your existing ATO????

Like I said, I'm a rookie here so please be gentle :)

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All valid questions Slash : ). The aquarium controllers will not take the place of test kits. I do believe that this will change over the next few years. Some controllers do have salinity probes but I only trust my refractometer. NO3, PO4, CA and Mg all still need a test kit (although Hanna / Pinpoint does make some meters for these other parameters - but still not part of the controller). The Controller itself can be programmed to control ATO but you would still need selenoids (or other top off mechanism) to perform the top off itself. Pinpoint (and others) make pH controllers to assist with Ca reactors - but that's all they do.

Controllers are INCREDIBLE pieces of equipment and can make life much easier. But there will always be some things that they can't do (or can't do well). They keep getting better and better though : )

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back