0   0   0
Just got my RKL up and running. What a pain to program! Lol
I have it set up as follows:
Power Bar 1
Ch 1 Refugium led
Ch 2 Heater
Ch 3 Skimmer
Ch 4 T5’s supplement lights over display
My question is there are 4 blue LEDs on the right side from top to bottom are they suppose to be lit when it has power to the outlet or is that a communication led lit for module 1 ?
My fuge light, Skimmer, and heater are all on but only the top blue led is lit.
Also where should I mount the itemp probe? My fuge has the heater in the first chamber with my Skimmer and overflow tubes, I have 25 lbs of live rock and a basketball size of chaeto in it, 3rd and final chamber has my return pump, gfo/carbon reactor, and dosing tubes. I was thinking about installing it in my overflow is that ok?
on the head the 4 lights on right are communication to each module 4 max
the 4 lights on the pb4 are the outlets only lit when that outlet is on.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of replacing my pc4's with new pb4's . The status light on the pb4 does not stay green, and the head unit does not seem to recognize them. Instead of showing a pb4 module the display unit shows a blank -, which when you press enter, it says remove.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must not have the latest firmware on your head unit. Have you hooked it up to a computer running myReef using the SID. Make sure there are no other modules hooked to the SID.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must not have the latest firmware on your head unit. Have you hooked it up to a computer running myReef using the SID. Make sure there are no other modules hooked to the SID.
I've updated all modules using MyReef 2.0 it tells me my SID is 2.09 and myRKL is 2.08

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the RKL has a 4 module limit. If the PB4's exceed that limit that may be your issue. The head unit will remember all modules that are hooked to it. Removing the module from the system does not remove the module as far as the module count.

Last edited:

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried programming directly from the head unit and using MyReef. I thought the problem may have been my head unit but have hooked up a new one and it does the same thing.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried programming both ways. I even tried programming with a new display head unit thinking that was the problem.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a reset to factory defaults from the head unit. This has to be done after the firmware is updated. If that does not help you may want to contact DA support? The new RKL systems sold now come with PB4's so they should work with the RKL.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The factory reset didn't help eithe. As a last resort before I try DA support is to delete and reinstall the MyReef software.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with my gfci tripping. I tried to track down the souce and it tripped when I plugged in a pc4 with nothing plugged in. I don't think the gfci is bad as I plugged in the pump that draws the most amps and it never tripped.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see one of them failing but not all. Was there any probes hooked to the system when it tripped?

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, really? So do you set both at the same temp? The channel can handle the amps?
Been running this way from day one with zero issues. I have my RKL set to 78 and both heaters set to 80.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see one of them failing but not all. Was there any probes hooked to the system when it tripped?
I know 1 pc4 tripped it, not positive about the 2nd. There was a ph and temp probe connected at the time it originally started to trip the breaker. I wonderd if the set point for temp was causing it to cycle on & off too rapidly.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is one of the PC4's they can be checked by plugging in a PC4 to a GFCI outlet and powering it on. They do not have to have any modules or a head unit connected. If they trip the outlet then something is wrong with the PC4. If not odds are that it is something plugged into the outlets or buss. There may be a rare case where a paticular outlet is causing it but you can turn on the outlets manually on the PC4 one at a time to check this.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is one of the PC4's they can be checked by plugging in a PC4 to a GFCI outlet and powering it on. They do not have to have any modules or a head unit connected. If they trip the outlet then something is wrong with the PC4. If not odds are that it is something plugged into the outlets or buss. There may be a rare case where a paticular outlet is causing it but you can turn on the outlets manually on the PC4 one at a time to check this.
That's exactly what I did and DA support told me one of the micro switches was probably bad. They said if I used new pb4's I would correct the problem but I can't get them programmed.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook only one of the PB4's to your head unit and power it up. See what shows up on the head unit. Did you erase the PC4's from the head unit if not it will still have them in the system. That may be what you are seeing instead of the new PB4's.

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, the new PB4's aren't being recognized by either of the display units. I remember when I originally installed the Unit I had a lot of trouble with the bus cables. I wonder if that's the problem I'm having now.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the light flashing on the PB4. Usually the status light on the module will flash if there is no buss communication.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back