Reefkeeper: Ph drop with skimmer on

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pyrosteve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Pyrosteve

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2018
Messages
217
Reaction score
175
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know why the ph drops when my skimmer is on? I have RKL with 2 PB4s and 2 modules & NET. One PB4 is pulling .6 amps with the Tank LED, Doser running and Sterilizer on and Ph is good. I turn off everything and turn on the skimmer (.5 amps) on the other PB4 and the Ph drops appox 1.5. Any ideas why?
 
I would suspect the skimmer is drawing in the CO2-loaded air into your system. The extra CO2 in the air is causing the pH drop.

Can you run the inlet tube outside the house (where there is less CO2)?
My thoughts exactly!
 
I see what you're saying but it happens almost instantly. I think it's electrical in the RKL. I didn't even notice it was off at first. I added a new probe and was calibrating it and double checked with an API test kit.
 
Hmmm... I must be pulling too many amps and it's affecting the SLX. I started by calibrating the probe with the always running equipment on and it was good until a started turning on the other equipment. Each pump/light on, Ph dropped by .1 on the RKL. I then recalibrated with everything on and ph would rise .1 every time I turned a pump/light off.
 
The temp port on SL1 has a similar issue. Reading will randomly go crazy, temp way high or way low, I think the wiring inside the SL1 for that port is damaged inside. I hope you figure out your issue. Maybe to switching your SLX to the other PB4 will help, could be getting interference from something. I had to move some plugs around because my MH lights would flicker on when my ATO pump turned on.
 
Yea I've read that sometimes changing the order can help the issue. I'll have to give that a try.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new