Reeflink vs. WXM, which one should I choose?

Reeflink vs. WXM, which one should I choose?

• Reeflink

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • WXM

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to decide on whether to get the WXM or the Reeflink. I have no experience with either, so any feedback is greatly appreciated. I did some reaserch; however, most of the posts I've found are from 2016. I am looking for more current info. Please feel free to share your experience with either product, the good and the bad.
A little background info: I do not have a Vectra so that is not a factor for me, nor would I ever use the acclimation mode on the lights.

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the facebook-group of ecotech, reeflink seems to be down quite often. I have WXM and programming is easy. Also benefit of having all control in one place.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both the reeflink and the ESL could never remember my settings nor could it remember my lights
My WXM on the other hand I haven’t had any problems although some report losing connection within the APEX system itself
If your using APEX. Go with the WXM

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add a 3rd option to your poll for people who would also like to know the answer! lol I've been going back and forth for a while on this as well. I've got a pair of xr15's waiting on my decision as well.

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great time that this is asked, as I have the same decision to make. I have both the reeflink and wxm, not setup either one yet. Using the wxm will I have all the same options and functions, and is it easy to use? I have never used either.

Thanks

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both the reeflink and the ESL could never remember my settings nor could it remember my lights
My WXM on the other hand I haven’t had any problems although some report losing connection within the APEX system itself
If your using APEX. Go with the WXM
I have often wondered this about by Reef link settings. Seems like I have them set and that they are different. I usually try and run the SPS AB+ schedule, but when I went into ESL last night all of my color channels were set at 100%. I totaled the intensity was still where it should be.

As far as the acclimation mode, it seems to freeze up and not run as it is supposed to.

I also have my vortechs on this and even though neither one is set to run more than 40 or 45%, sometimes they are blasting it at blowing sand. I can usually tell by the lights on the controllers that they are running more than the 40 percent range that I set them in.

I don't have any confirmation that this is happening but I have had my hunches. Seeing you say that kind of makes me think a little harder in that direction. I wonder if this is something that EcoSmart is aware of and working on?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted wxm because that's what I use and know nothing about the reef link.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. Reeflink has a little more options especially calibration on the pumps and making sure they are running correctly. Also the feed mode in the reeflink keeps a little flow coming out of the pumps so no fish can ever go to the sump.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a WXM for my 2 MP40's and have no issues. I'm an Apex Junkie and having control of everything in one location is huge for me.

As to feed modes, I set my FEEDA mode to turn the LEFT pump OFF and run the RIGHT pump at 20% pulse mode, just to keep the food moving around. I have found that some fish (Copperband, filefish), take to various foods better if they're moving around a bit.

I had a tough time getting the copperband to eat turning off all flow and trying to target feed him. Once I turned the right MP40 back on at 20% pulse, and the food is moving a bit, he took right to it.

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to decide on whether to get the WXM or the Reeflink. I have no experience with either, so any feedback is greatly appreciated. I did some reaserch; however, most of the posts I've found are from 2016. I am looking for more current info. Please feel free to share your experience with either product, the good and the bad.
A little background info: I do not have a Vectra so that is not a factor for me, nor would I ever use the acclimation mode on the lights.

Just wondering did you decide which way you are going to go? I am still torn what to do. Everything else of mine is Apex, but I was worried I would not be able to control the lights as easy with the WXM.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering did you decide which way you are going to go? I am still torn what to do. Everything else of mine is Apex, but I was worried I would not be able to control the lights as easy with the WXM.
Yah, I decided on wxm. From what most people say reeflink might have more bells and whistles but it is not as reliable. I am just looking for something that works all the time. Having less control is better IMO, because the lights are not suppose to be changed all the time. It’s one of those things that need to be set and forgotten, that’s why t5 users usually have great success with acros. Besides, having all of the controls in one place is very convenient. That’s the way I justified going with wxm.

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, I decided on wxm. From what most people say reeflink might have more bells and whistles but it is not as reliable. I am just looking for something that works all the time. Having less control is better IMO, because the lights are not suppose to be changed all the time. It’s one of those things that need to be set and forgotten, that’s why t5 users usually have great success with acros. Besides, having all of the controls in one place is very convenient. That’s the way I justified going with wxm.

I agree, I want to set it and forget it, I need them to be reliable as I travel a lot, and don't need to worry about reeflink and if it fails or not. Thanks for posting the question as I was going to post as well the same question.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I want to set it and forget it, I need them to be reliable as I travel a lot, and don't need to worry about reeflink and if it fails or not. Thanks for posting the question as I was going to post as well the same question.

No problem.
That’s exactly what I was thinking too, I travel a lot as well and I got the apex just so I can control everything in one place while I’m gone, so this works out perfectly.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the WXM module for when I had Vortechs in the past. The WXM was mediocre for Vortechs but I'm not running them anymore. I don't have Radions now but plan to get 3 XR15s for my RSR 250. I would like to get more information about the Reeflink. Specifically about the bells and whistles and about reliability. Has anyone heard why the Reeflink settings don't stay saved? Can you save the settings to a file on your computer like my AI Primes and My AI app? Does Reeflink have moonlight wax and wane, auto acclimation and seasonal variation intensities. WXM has seasonal variations so the lighting can mimic geographical locations that are in the far Northern or far Southern areas of the tropics. Can you use Reeflink when your internet connection is down?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both WXM and Reeflink. I'm a long time WXM user for my vortech pumps, but was 'forced' to buy a Reeflink in order to control my Vectra pump. I have no complaints with how the WXM controls the vortechs, though I am approaching the 11 pump maximum. I also use Reeflink to program my Radion lights.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the WXM module for when I had Vortechs in the past. The WXM was mediocre for Vortechs but I'm not running them anymore. I don't have Radions now but plan to get 3 XR15s for my RSR 250. I would like to get more information about the Reeflink. Specifically about the bells and whistles and about reliability. Has anyone heard why the Reeflink settings don't stay saved? Can you save the settings to a file on your computer like my AI Primes and My AI app? Does Reeflink have moonlight wax and wane, auto acclimation and seasonal variation intensities. WXM has seasonal variations so the lighting can mimic geographical locations that are in the far Northern or far Southern areas of the tropics. Can you use Reeflink when your internet connection is down?
If the seasonal variation exists that would be awesome. That being said I went for WXM and it is pretty awesome.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the reeflink based on the fact that I could download profiles from shops like WWC who provide them.

You can do this with Fusion as well, it's called schemes. Any user can post their setting to the cloud, either as private or public, for any other user to review and download. If nothing else, I have all of my schemes saved as a reference in case I need to refer back.

This works for all profiles, lighting, pump, etc.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the reeflink based on the fact that I could download profiles from shops like WWC who provide them. I don't enjoy using the interface though, it's fairly sluggish and buggy.
There are schemes that you can download for the profiles in Alex

Back