Reeflink vs. WXM, which one should I choose?

Reeflink vs. WXM, which one should I choose?

• Reeflink

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • WXM

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do this with Fusion as well, it's called schemes. Any user can post their setting to the cloud, either as private or public, for any other user to review and download. If nothing else, I have all of my schemes saved as a reference in case I need to refer back.

This works for all profiles, lighting, pump, etc.
Great point but there’s so many schemes available, I can’t tell which ones to trust.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't need to. So long as the pumps have power from somewhere the WXM is just a profile that controls the mode and intensity.

I voted WXM since you said you had an Apex.
No, you need an Apex brain and at least an EB8 or an EB832 to run any module. The main unit or brains is the brains and you need an energy bar to provide power to the brain and all the modules. But the Radions and Vortechs don't need to plug into the energy bar. They connect to the WXM module wirelessly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think that’s true. You can connect something like the WXM directly to the brain without a power bar in the system. Of course, running an apex without a power bar seems rather pointless ......

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the reef link for a couple of years now and it has been totally reliable and the radion light interface is very easy to set up your lighting schedule. The vortech interface is real clunky and an unnecessarily painful process if you have a few pumps that you need to make changes on.

I converted over to the WXM long enough to get a feel for the set up and interface experience, but not long enough to comment on reliability. I had to quit using the WXM because I need to be able to disable the touch capacitor buttons on my two Gen 2 radion pros or they go haywire with the other RF interference produced by both legit RF devices and just plain electrical interference from my t-5 ballasts.

With the reef link I can disable the buttons and that solves the issue of interference causing the lights to change spectrum and intensity every time something ramps up or down or turns on or off.

The WXM does not allow that control of the lights and I tried to have support at Neptune help but they just said if using the reef link to turn off the buttons and then reconnecting them to the apex didn't work, I would have to talk to ecotech for help with it.

Ultimately it is way too much trouble to solve an unnecessary problem for my taste. I thought having the vortechs and radions on the apex would be cool, but I realized there is almost no value add to doing that for me other than maybe having the pumps react to the feed mode through apex, but I only put the vortechs on feed mode through the reef link when I feed the corals and the fish anyway. I don't shut down the return pump and the skimmer is on a partial day program that leaves it off during the morning and afternoon feeding times.

Meh. Too bad it doesn't work for me after I spent so much money on the WXM module in the first place. But I really don't feel that I am missing out on anything special by not having the WXM work for me, other than the money I spent on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back