OP
reefman88

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an updated FTS....not completely current but more current than the last.

IMG_7343.jpg

OP
OP
reefman88

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I went from t-5 to LED and then after 2 years of LED went back to t-5. All my corals responded much better to T5. The only thing i want to add is a Reefbrite led strip for nightime viewing.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I went from t-5 to LED and then after 2 years of LED went back to t-5. All my corals responded much better to T5. The only thing i want to add is a Reefbrite led strip for nightime viewing.
why did you decide to switch from LED's to T-5's?

awesome tank btw. 1smile1

OP
OP
reefman88

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried pretty much every type light out there. From the old mogul PC bulbs all the way up to the Radion. My favorite is the 20k halide with VHO actinics but my current tank location won't afford me the use of halides. So 6-bulb t-5 is my second favorite.

I feel that the difference in intensity from the top of the tank to the bottom more uniform than most other light sources so I can basically place whatever coral I want...wherever I want. If I want to place a showpiece Acanthastrea at the peak of a pillar in the tank, I don't have to worry about burning it or killing it. And if I want to put a monti or acro in the bottom third of the tank(In direct light of course) I am not scared to do so.

Where I live the difference in electric between my T5 fixture and LEDs is about 4 dollars a month (including running a cooling fan). I buy t-5 bulbs on sale when I can so replacing bulbs is about $75 a year. Bought the fixture slightly used for a great price. Considering all that, it would take me 8 years to make back my money for the LED's.

I don't plan on having this tank for 8 years. And in 2-3 years the LEDs that are currently available will be yesterdays news and will have taken a huge hit in resale price if I decide to sell them.

I sound like an LED "hater". But in all actuality I was a former user and its just my current tank that will not be using them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back