ReefMat Install Vids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious to see how either sizes of the ReefMat are installed on Red Sea sumps. Doesn't look like there are any videos out there yet.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen any vids but they did update their website with the modifications necessary per model, see the link below.

personally I’m super underwhelmed. I have an s500 on order and my LFS was reserving me the large size. Per the link only the smaller one fits and it requires a mod that leaves a sump compartment dry. The compromises for a large number of tanks really has me questioning some design decisions made here. The whole reason I went with the S500 over the 400 was for the extra sump space.

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the link.

Yeah going to be a no go for me. I’d lose the ATO tank (I don’t have the space anywhere else to add one) or Refugium.

Guess I’ll be sticking with the filter socks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's now a video on modification. I wonder how many will choose that option. I'm honestly 50/50.

I'm also 50-50. Fortunately with my 750XXL there's an option to run the ReefMat in the refugium section. I just need to cut the pipes and connect the overflows to the flex tubing. Not entirely sure how I feel about that since it's a permanent modification and the overflow chamber will end up being dry/unused for anything. And while I'll be able to retain the ATO, the filter sock chamber will also be left unutilized. I hate wasted space...

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. I’ve got two LFS that have/will soon have them on display, including showing the sump mods. I’m really curious to see how this looks. I pump feed the large ClariSea in a RSR 300XL (80G total) and the ClariSea is BIG. But it lasts forever and keeps my tank crystal clear, nutrients in check, etc. I was hoping for an option that would have required cutting the overflow pipe and nothing more. Even the 500 requires me to cut silicone…

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw one set up in a brand new RSR system at LFS. Looks fine, but the sump modification does not seem remotely fun (I saw pics from during the mod process) and I genuinely question whether it really can be done—safely—without being drained. The G2 systems look very interesting, but I won’t be dropping several thousand $$$$ just for the ability to install a ReefMat. Whether this gives me an excuse to upgrade is another story!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw one set up in a brand new RSR system at LFS. Looks fine, but the sump modification does not seem remotely fun (I saw pics from during the mod process) and I genuinely question whether it really can be done—safely—without being drained. The G2 systems look very interesting, but I won’t be dropping several thousand $$$$ just for the ability to install a ReefMat. Whether this gives me an excuse to upgrade is another story!
The video doesn't show the other required mod - which is permanently cutting the overflow pipes if you have an alternate install availabe.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They announced the new G2 models which among other things, have a redesigned filter sock/media basket holder and chamber that you can simply pull out.
I saw that today. My question would be if I do the modification to my current v3 sump can I simply purchase the drop in filter sock holder and go back if I don't like the reef mat. I'm going to put that question to Red Sea and see what they say.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that today. My question would be if I do the modification to my current v3 sump can I simply purchase the drop in filter sock holder and go back if I don't like the reef mat. I'm going to put that question to Red Sea and see what they say.
Great question. It looks like there are 3 new brackets for the horizontal filter sock holder and a vertical panel that closes the chamber off.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received a surprisingly quick response from Red Sea. It was a resounding "no" - the filter sock drop inserts will not be available for sale separately and if they did they would not fit in my current sump. Bummer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received a surprisingly quick response from Red Sea. It was a resounding "no" - the filter sock drop inserts will not be available for sale separately and if they did they would not fit in my current sump. Bummer.
Bummer.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Installed on my RSR 300XL. I cracked the 32MM PVC fitting, hence the flexible sleeve. But works great, completely silent, etc.
C383A860-2B57-4683-ACEF-C212484B769F.jpeg

#TheMoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing my RED SEA REEF MAT 1200 onto my XXL625 this Saturday and will be removing the sock filter chamber as well. pictures and vid to follow..

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear ya. It’s a standard RS sump setup, save for the Reefmat taking up space where the otherwise far-less-useful sock/media cup holders would be AND encroaching 1-2 inches into the fuge space. It’s how Red Sea shows the Reefmat layout for my tank (at least they depict it accurately), but it seems to be necessary only because you really can’t get the Reefmat any closer to the down pipes with the setup/flex hose they provide. I wonder why they didn’t include a different attachment, but maybe a 90 degree would interrupt flow and an elbow bend would be similar to the flex hose anyway.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. It’s a standard RS sump setup, save for the Reefmat taking up space where the otherwise far-less-useful sock/media cup holders would be AND encroaching 1-2 inches into the fuge space. It’s how Red Sea shows the Reefmat layout for my tank (at least they depict it accurately), but it seems to be necessary only because you really can’t get the Reefmat any closer to the down pipes with the setup/flex hose they provide. I wonder why they didn’t include a different attachment, but maybe a 90 degree would interrupt flow and an elbow bend would be similar to the flex hose anyway.
My LFS called me and told me Red Sea engineering decided the Max S 500 needed a different fitting, I suspect its a 90. It shipped on Thursday I'll be sure to share when it arrives.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I was going to add that I’d be shocked if RS or a hobbyist doesn’t figure a different solution soon. It’s not much, but ANY wasted space feels, well, wasteful.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was going to add that I’d be shocked if RS or a hobbyist doesn’t figure a different solution soon. It’s not much, but ANY wasted space feels, well, wasteful.
agreed, weird timing after it was released but the S500 is one of the annoying reefmat implementations as its recommended install is aout as far away from the overflow as possible.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back