ReefMat Install Vids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

#TheMoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. It’s a standard RS sump setup, save for the Reefmat taking up space where the otherwise far-less-useful sock/media cup holders would be AND encroaching 1-2 inches into the fuge space. It’s how Red Sea shows the Reefmat layout for my tank (at least they depict it accurately), but it seems to be necessary only because you really can’t get the Reefmat any closer to the down pipes with the setup/flex hose they provide. I wonder why they didn’t include a different attachment, but maybe a 90 degree would interrupt flow and an elbow bend would be similar to the flex hose anyway.
Right on.

Attachments

• 3EA3C3BF-23A2-4DE5-8DE1-BCA55C845E31.jpeg
    3EA3C3BF-23A2-4DE5-8DE1-BCA55C845E31.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 35CF1DF3-E794-441F-BD49-9D8281FAB626.jpeg
    35CF1DF3-E794-441F-BD49-9D8281FAB626.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 588

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone installed the Reefmat on a waterbox sump? Curious to hear how it went.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump. Anyone install a 1200 in a larger 750 or 900 Reefer? I have one to install on my 900 and would like to know what Im in for. The Red Sea video shows a dry sump on a bench. Mine is obviously full of water and in my cabinet. Am I going to need to drain my sump?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anyone install a 1200 in a larger 750 or 900 Reefer? I have one to install on my 900 and would like to know what Im in for. The Red Sea video shows a dry sump on a bench. Mine is obviously full of water and in my cabinet. Am I going to need to drain my sump?
I read a post (yesterday I think?) where the guy installed a ReefMat 1200 on either a 900 or 1000. I saw another where the guy cut the filter tray out whilethe tank was running.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was going to add that I’d be shocked if RS or a hobbyist doesn’t figure a different solution soon. It’s not much, but ANY wasted space feels, well, wasteful.
My thoughts exactly. My LFS has a 500 set up in a RSR 350 and it is a terrible use of the space. Not to mention the dead area where the socks were which only receives minimal flow.
For my 425xl, the RS instructions only allow the ATO reservoir to be kept if the Reefmat goes in the skimmer chamber and the skimmer in the refugium. No space for a refugium except in the dead zone which may or may not work if just a little flow was possible.
Having taken measurements I am sure that I could keep everything where it is if the main and emergency drain pipe were modified. If they were moved to the far side of the Reefmat the Reefmat itself could sit exactly where the socks holders are and nothing would change. I even think that most of the repositioning could be achieved just by rotating the pipes at the unions under the tank.
I'd definitely be looking into doing that as I think the end result would actually be quite satisfactory. As it is my tank is still fairly new and I just don't have the need for one as my socks take ages to catch much debris.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thoughts exactly. My LFS has a 500 set up in a RSR 350 and it is a terrible use of the space. Not to mention the dead area where the socks were which only receives minimal flow.
For my 425xl, the RS instructions only allow the ATO reservoir to be kept if the Reefmat goes in the skimmer chamber and the skimmer in the refugium. No space for a refugium except in the dead zone which may or may not work if just a little flow was possible.
Having taken measurements I am sure that I could keep everything where it is if the main and emergency drain pipe were modified. If they were moved to the far side of the Reefmat the Reefmat itself could sit exactly where the socks holders are and nothing would change. I even think that most of the repositioning could be achieved just by rotating the pipes at the unions under the tank.
I'd definitely be looking into doing that as I think the end result would actually be quite satisfactory. As it is my tank is still fairly new and I just don't have the need for one as my socks take ages to catch much debris.
I went almost a year new to the hobby before switching to a filter mat. I got to a point where a 100 micron sock would barely last three days once the bioload was high enough. I will NEVER go back to filter socks again.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed a 500 and didn’t drain the sump. It DOES work, but it does NOT take 15 minutes . And, yes, you will find tiny pieces of silicone in the the Reefmat—of all places.

I used the RS sump modification kit. It’s worth the $15.

#TheMoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my sock filter assembly with the sump full of water. Little more difficult but doable. Dry sump would be ideal but once the sump is set up that makes it hard to empty and remove it.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any issues with silicone pieces going back in the display or any other unforeseen issues removing the sock baffles while the sump is full? Anything to be mindful of?

Thanks!

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished the install. Took me a couple hours which is a lot longer than what most people reported but I like to take my time. I also keep all my cables concealed in a track so some time was spent just running the power cable. I also wanted to maintain my refugium which has a sand bed so I was careful to keep the small lower baffles.

doing the install with the sump full of water and return pumps running wasn’t a problem. I was able to get most of the silicone out but I’m sure a few small particles will end up in the bubble trap sponge. Only had to turn off return pumps for about 20 minutes when I cut and glued the return pipe and connected to the reef mat.

The app set up and WiFi connection was a little cumbersome and I’m not as savvy as some but eventually figured it out.

I don’t understand how the sensor works as this is my first roller mat. Anyone care to give me a basic understanding?

as far as the unit itself, it seems well made and very “universal” with options for different connections, locations etc. I’ve heard a lot of people complain about replacing the mat with other units but it seems fairly simple on this 1200. It’s only been running for an hour so hopefully it’s working. I left all app settings on default so I’d be interested if others have changed anything.

Here it is on my 3XL900

7E4B43BF-56A3-4D58-964A-B33AB1661C09.jpeg
406ABFAC-5ECF-4BD5-8A82-D4F8ACCA4F71.jpeg

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished the install. Took me a couple hours which is a lot longer than what most people reported but I like to take my time. I also keep all my cables concealed in a track so some time was spent just running the power cable. I also wanted to maintain my refugium which has a sand bed so I was careful to keep the small lower baffles.

doing the install with the sump full of water and return pumps running wasn’t a problem. I was able to get most of the silicone out but I’m sure a few small particles will end up in the bubble trap sponge. Only had to turn off return pumps for about 20 minutes when I cut and glued the return pipe and connected to the reef mat.

The app set up and WiFi connection was a little cumbersome and I’m not as savvy as some but eventually figured it out.

I don’t understand how the sensor works as this is my first roller mat. Anyone care to give me a basic understanding?

as far as the unit itself, it seems well made and very “universal” with options for different connections, locations etc. I’ve heard a lot of people complain about replacing the mat with other units but it seems fairly simple on this 1200. It’s only been running for an hour so hopefully it’s working. I left all app settings on default so I’d be interested if others have changed anything.

Here it is on my 3XL900

7E4B43BF-56A3-4D58-964A-B33AB1661C09.jpeg
406ABFAC-5ECF-4BD5-8A82-D4F8ACCA4F71.jpeg
Sweet tank! I changed the default to “advance” the smallest amount possible and it does seem to result in a dirtier roll, more consistent with what I got with the ClariSea.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was there any issues with silicone pieces going back in the display or any other unforeseen issues removing the sock baffles while the sump is full? Anything to be mindful of?

Thanks!
Yes, I did find see silicone pieces, but not nearly as much as I anticipated and they really did get caught in the Reefmat within the first 30 mins or so. After that, just a few stragglers.

The install took me a few hours and that time was, by far, on the sump modification. I also wasted a bunch of time by cracking the 32MM pipe, but that was my bad. Other than that, just be ready to have your hands in water A LOT and BE CAREFUL with the silicone removal tools.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install on a 650 peninsula went pretty easy, but definitely took longer than 30 minutes. Much easier to drain the sump if you are able. This will help you find all the bits of glass and silicone if you cheap out and don't get the removal kit (or one isn't available).

Ill post up pics tomorrow, but I was able to keep the small section where the pipes drain into the sump as a refugium and only removed the section where the filter socks slide into the tray. I usually keep the stock ATO over this section anyways so it worked out. I also cracked the 32mm pipe but luckily was able to salvage it enough to still connect the flex pipe below the gate valve. Overall impressed with the product but had to make several minor adjustments like flipping the waste roll the wrong way initially, adjusting the level sensor, trying to figure out how to reset the stuck roller error, etc.

Gavinj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 425 and waiting for the Reefmat to arrive in Australia. There appears to be 2 options for the install on the web site. I want to keep the reservoir so I am looking at option 2 but why couldn't I just go with option 1 and slide the reefmat to where it is in option 2 and place the reservoir in? I don't run any reactors or anything which is the main limitation height wise I can gather from option 2.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably didn’t need to remove the filter sock holders but they’re annoying so out they came. Pretty easy installation otherwise and is using about 20” daily so far on a very heavily stocked and fed tank. Will probably add some bio bricks under the empty section where the socks/cups used to hang down. Didn’t use any adapters, just added the provided sealant and zip tied the hose onto the stock downpipe. Installing another one on a 500 gallon today, but need to print an adapter to connect a second together from a 2” drain pipe

9D60C86B-F152-4F69-9782-3797A97609EA.jpeg
E29F95B4-B6F5-41ED-8C56-C5A39079AAC5.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably didn’t need to remove the filter sock holders but they’re annoying so out they came. Pretty easy installation otherwise and is using about 20” daily so far on a very heavily stocked and fed tank. Will probably add some bio bricks under the empty section where the socks/cups used to hang down. Didn’t use any adapters, just added the provided sealant and zip tied the hose onto the stock downpipe. Installing another one on a 500 gallon today, but need to print an adapter to connect a second together from a 2” drain pipe

9D60C86B-F152-4F69-9782-3797A97609EA.jpeg
Did you remove the glass panel in the filter sock tray section? (the vertical one between the filter sock chamber and overflow chamber)

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the glass panel in the filter sock tray section? (the vertical one between the filter sock chamber and overflow chamber)
I removed the vertical glass panel parallel to the front of the sump that separated the two filter sock inserts (the one that has a slot for the refugium baffle). That one had to be removed to attach the drain hose.

I left the vertical panel that is perpendicular to the front of the sump where the drain pipes drain into the sump (the bubble trap all the way to the right side of the picture). That piece could be removed but I didn’t find it necessary unless the reef mat is being installed immediately next to the downpipe as pictured in post #21.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back