ReefMat Install Vids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed the 500 on my RSR XL300 two nights ago. Modifying the sump certainly wasn't fun but it wasn't too difficult. I just took my time and was super careful. I couldn't find the sump modification kit anywhere but I found a really small Dewalt utility knife at Home Depot and was able to make that work fairly well.

It definitely takes up more space in the sump than what I'd like but it has already made a big difference on the clarity of the water in my tank. I'm looking forward to seeing the long term results.

20220606_234943.jpg
Looks great! I have the same tank with the 500. Looks like we both use up every available spot in our sump and cabinet!!! Is that DOS for water changes?

donbavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I have the same tank with the 500. Looks like we both use up every available spot in our sump and cabinet!!! Is that DOS for water changes?
I might eventually set it up for that. I was using it to dose Kalk initially and recently switched over to All-For-Reef. Using the other side to do ATO. I know it's overkill but I really appreciate the integration with the controller.

alfpiccolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NotoriousDMC and @donbavis: I also have a 300XL and just ordered the modification kit tools. I planned to do this modification wet. In the picture at the RS site stated that one can keep the slide in partition for the protein skimmer compartments. Is that true? I am thinking as I am removing the perpendicular glass, I will be also removing the track or the protein skimmer section....

donbavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NotoriousDMC and @donbavis: I also have a 300XL and just ordered the modification kit tools. I planned to do this modification wet. In the picture at the RS site stated that one can keep the slide in partition for the protein skimmer compartments. Is that true? I am thinking as I am removing the perpendicular glass, I will be also removing the track or the protein skimmer section....
you're right. the track is attached to the piece of glass that you have to remove, so it comes out as well. it kinda stinks but ended up not mattering too much for me since my skimmer wouldn't allow me to put that partition in anyways. once i was done, i had two chambers. the return chamber and then one big chamber that is about 3/4's of the sump.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was able to keep the partition closest to the skimmer chamber. But you are absolutely correct that you will need to be VERY careful removing the glass to which the left track is partially attached.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to keep the partition closest to the skimmer chamber. But you are absolutely correct that you will need to be VERY careful removing the glass to which the left track is partially attached.
Is it possible to keep the skimmer and refugium section in the 300xl?

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really not sure that the RSK300 is needed in my tank with the Reefmat. I’ve considered putting a barely used Simplicity 120 in the front fuge section next to the Reefmat, removing the baffle, and then having a significantly larger fuge right before the return. That said, the Red Sea is pulling a ton of outside air to a basement tank and my mixed reef is thriving, so a bit of “if it ain’t broke…”

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really not sure that the RSK300 is needed in my tank with the Reefmat. I’ve considered putting a barely used Simplicity 120 in the front fuge section next to the Reefmat, removing the baffle, and then having a significantly larger fuge right before the return. That said, the Red Sea is pulling a ton of outside air to a basement tank and my mixed reef is thriving, so a bit of “if it ain’t broke…”
That's cool. Waiting on mine then will try to install. I replaced my drain with 1" drain. Will it still work with the reefmat you think?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 xxl G3 and the drains are 40mm everything that they give you with the 1200 reef mat is for 32 mm. I got it all done and cut pipe last and now i have a pipe above waterline and no fitting that even work remotely with the piping i have. This all seems hurry up and rush to market kinda deal. Well figure out all our f-ups through the custies. Thanks red sea.
I have this exact issue myself - xxl750V3 - tore apart the sump, all ready to go in - no way to plumb it to the return pipe right now. I live in a remote area with no way to get parts with my sump inoperable! Nice going Red Sea on the parts. Man I am Pi$$&* right now.

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, also looking to install a Reefmat 1200 into a Waterbox 220.6. Can anyone tell me if the hose that feeds into the RM will fit onto the drain of the Waterbox or will I need to get any additional fittings? Waterbox specs quote both the drain and overflow size as 'DN32' but TBH that means nothing to me. Does that indicate it's 32mm & therefore should fit??

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Have you installed yet? I've been waiting for them to get back in stock to order one for my 200XL G2 and been curious how it fits.

yep, currently running in my tank. I haven't touched a filter sock since owning it. it does fit without any mods .

I am going to cut the tube shorter and re route it on the other side to have more space for my skimmer.

1660600275661.png

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, currently running in my tank. I haven't touched a filter sock since owning it. it does fit without any mods .

I am going to cut the tube shorter and re route it on the other side to have more space for my skimmer.

1660600275661.png

I think i have the same skimmer. Curious if you switched sides if you could maintain the stock ato...

Can you leave the sock in for the emergency drain and just maintain it like once a year?

I have an external ato(atk in a 34 gal brute having to refil the stock every day was never going to work for me) but currently have it pumping into the stock ato because i couldnt be bothered trying to move my probe holder as getting behind the sump is a pita. I actually used a shoe horn to shimmy it over thinking i could put the atk on the left side wall but theres not enough room for the float valve in that orientation.

Youve got me wishing id have gotten color leds for my cabinet lighting now

20220814_091055.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, also looking to install a Reefmat 1200 into a Waterbox 220.6. Can anyone tell me if the hose that feeds into the RM will fit onto the drain of the Waterbox or will I need to get any additional fittings? Waterbox specs quote both the drain and overflow size as 'DN32' but TBH that means nothing to me. Does that indicate it's 32mm & therefore should fit??
@JohnPH did you need a certain fitting to connect the reefmat drain hose to the waterbox drain pipe?

Back