ReefMat Made Sump Loud

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have trouble re-dialing in their gate valve after installing a ReefMat?

Specifically I'm running a Reefer 250 with a ReefMat 500. I've tried like 5 times now to re-dial in my gate valve to be quiet. Did the whole process of closing it completely and slowly opening it back up until the water level in the overflow is just an inch below the overflow drain. Once I do get the water level below the overflow so it's only coming down the main drain...I'm getting air sucked into my drain which causes bubbles to bubble up inside the ReefMat, making it loud. Before installation it was completely silent...even with the custom plumbing.

This is a new setup. So the gate valve is brand new (no need for cleaning), and it's a spears...not the Red Sea stock valve.

Someone suggested increasing my return pump flow...all that does is make the water level in the overflow rise so it's going back down into the overflow drain again, which makes me have to dial in the gate valve again.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have to re-dial in my gate valve on my Red Sea 750XXL, but after that it's been smooth sailing. I like to keep the water in my overflow just at the edge of the emergency overflow, though. How did you connect the flexible tube to your main overflow pipe?

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have to re-dial in my gate valve on my Red Sea 750XXL, but after that it's been smooth sailing. I like to keep the water in my overflow just at the edge of the emergency overflow, though. How did you connect the flexible tube to your main overflow pipe?
With the 32mm/1in. union and I did use the included cement when I thread the flex tube on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Bought it literally right before the G2s went out.
I bought a few adapter components from Home Depot that allowed me to simply screw on the adapter that came with the kit and then I just manually threaded the flexible hose onto that (no sealant). My ReefMat 500 is running very, very quiet (no air at all). The only time it makes noise is when the fleece roll hits the end and water pools through the openings on the sides.

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few adapter components from Home Depot that allowed me to simply screw on the adapter that came with the kit and then I just manually threaded the flexible hose onto that (no sealant). My ReefMat 500 is running very, very quiet (no air at all). The only time it makes noise is when the fleece roll hits the end and water pools through the openings on the sides.
What adapters are you referring too?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had so many issues with a drain and overflow as I have my current setup. Part of the problem is the Synergy overflow but a major part of it is the filter roller. The constantly changing level in the filter roller section changes how quickly the main drain can drain. Meaning it either sucks in air or goes down the emergency.

I technically have a Bean Animal so I lowered the secondary overflow pipe and so far it is working perfectly. Dead silent now but only been a couple days.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @blaxsun what are those?
Hey guys, sorry for getting back to you (have been otherwise engaged in some summer cleaning!) Here are the parts I snagged from Home Depot to retrofit the hard plumbing to the Red Sea adapter.

I've also detailed the process of installing it on my tank build thread here.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefmat is super quiet and without using the sealant its sucking a little air at the joint and popping bubbles in the filter. Im going to apply the sealant and it will be even quieter.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry for getting back to you (have been otherwise engaged in some summer cleaning!) Here are the parts I snagged from Home Depot to retrofit the hard plumbing to the Red Sea adapter.

I've also detailed the process of installing it on my tank build thread here.

Thank you, sir!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back