ReefWave 25 gyre - Low flow in forward direction

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got through installing and dialing my Red Sea Reef Wave 25.

I have a 40GB.

Previously I had 2 Sicce Nanos on back, and 2 Aqua ZKSJ slimpros on opposite sides of tank. It was a lot of flow, but the Aqua ZKSJ did have an app for control.

At 1st I put the Reef Wave on the right side of glass, and even at 100%, I was not impressed, it barely reached the left side of tank, but corals did seen to like it, just not as much flow as I'm used to.

I have since moved to back glass, just off center to the right a tad and I have it on Uniform Wave, left gyre pointed up to get surface movement, right gyre pointed more at the rock. 80% forward for 10 minutes and 60% reverse for 2 minutes.

So far so good, and am now happy with it, as I was kind of disappointed at 1st, especially for the price point.

But thanks to all the posts on @REEF2REEF I have found good info, thanks everyone, and any more updates, tips, tricks would be appreciated.

1000005177.jpg
1000005178.jpg
1000005179.jpg
1000005176.jpg
1000005175.jpg

melah5253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the ReefWave 25 installed on my red sea reefer 170 for about a week now. I definitely like the flow. I only use the manual controller and actually like the effect of using the alternating flow direction pattern. Essentially what I get is a nice current created (I have the forward direction set essentially at the lowest speed) then when it switches to the reverse direction the entire tank calms for a bit (even on the max setting of the reverse direction). I personally like the ebbing effect and the corals seem to like it too.

So all in all no complaints. I just wanted to put it out there that the reverse direction of flow is not even close to the power of the forward direction. Just so that nobody is surprised when a single gyre isn't drastically switching the flow direction.

I was running two mp10s before and I am quite happy with the change. I personally was having issues with the wetsides failing on me. I haven't had the gyre long enough to make an apples to apples comparison in regards to longevity.

But if I am only looking at the flow, I personally prefer one ReefWave 25 over two mp10s in my RSF170 tank.
Does it seem like the flow is just blowing straight up? I only feel most of the power from the top. I do t have anything in my tank yet so hard for me to tell if it’s correct

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back