Reefwave vs Hydros with Icecap

saahilrtrivedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some flow for my Reefer 425XL, which is currently just running a Vectra M1.
I’m debating between either two Reefwave gyres or a hydros wave engine with two icecap gyres.

In terms of setup they’ll be mounted vertically on the back of the tank on either side of the overflow pointing toward the side of the tank, with one side a bit higher than the other side.

Would be interested to hear some input.

My considerations:
-Reefwave seems to be easier to clean than most other gyres (this is important because I’ve heard the gyres can be a bit tedious to keep clean)
-Reefwave has individual controllers so if one fails I still have flow from the other

-Hydros shows RPM of the pumps so it’s easier to tell when the performance is starting to suffer and cleaning is needed
-Hydros I can replace a broken pump with a used gyre and so replacement cost is less than if I have an issue with the Reefwave
-Hydros if I get the full wave engine instead of the LE I can also set up my ATO through it

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE my reefwaves. I really really do. Their controller boxes are a real pain to get connected to the internet (the only use 2.4 ghz, they use an older band which SLOWS DOWN your internet router, and has a problem with the initial set up). What is even worse, is I have three reefwaves and two of the controller boxes died. RS replaced ONE of them...but still a major problem with their electronics crapping out. Both of these are VERY common problems that everyone hates about reefwaves. The initial set up (and subsequent reprogramming) and reliability are the big drawbacks

With that being said, after I get it set up and connected and put it into 'forget it mode', it works pretty well and I am happy.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I HATE my reefwaves. I really really do. Their controller boxes are a real pain to get connected to the internet (the only use 2.4 ghz, they use an older band which SLOWS DOWN your internet router, and has a problem with the initial set up). What is even worse, is I have three reefwaves and two of the controller boxes died. RS replaced ONE of them...but still a major problem with their electronics crapping out. Both of these are VERY common problems that everyone hates about reefwaves. The initial set up (and subsequent reprogramming) and reliability are the big drawbacks

With that being said, after I get it set up and connected and put it into 'forget it mode', it works pretty well and I am happy.

What he said. ^^

I have two RW45's as well as a ReefDose4. They are all a PITA to get connected. However, once connected and configured, they are nice. The RW's are extremely easy to clean. I have had mine for about 18 months and do like them.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do go the route of the wave engine I have 2 icecap 2k and 2 icecap 4k gyres with a backup battery and the adapter cable I'll sell ya pretty darn cheap

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. Reef waves quieter than icecaps. Reefwave app was wonky so I just use the controller for setting- it may have changed now. I’ve seen where the reef waves claim to be easier to clean but other than the color coding I don’t see it- all gyres disassemble the same.

Back