Refractometer questions

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeroing my refractometer with tap well water. I get drastically different readings .004 at least depending on the temperature of the water I use.

I do have a water softner which uses salt but I dont know if that would be what makes the difference?

Anyone else out there ever see a difference depending on temp of water with their refractometer??

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use distilled water and bring it to tank temperature to zero mine. Some may disagree, using 0 TDS RO/DI water will work at tank temp as well.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as mentioned above, its better to use distilled or rodi water, or , a bottle of calibration fluid costs about $4. I wouldnt trust the results using tap water to calibrate.

Reefer508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting some refractor calibration solution. It's cheap enough and you want to calibrate near to were you want the reading to be. Temp will affect the reading.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeroing my refractometer with tap well water. I get drastically different readings .004 at least depending on the temperature of the water I use.

I do have a water softner which uses salt but I dont know if that would be what makes the difference?

Anyone else out there ever see a difference depending on temp of water with their refractometer??
because its tap water. It will have some salts in it. Use RODI or at the very least distilled.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back