Refractometer/Salinity Calibration PSA

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that no consumer device measures salinity in a reef environment with any true precision. I see a lot of people talk about it does not matter if you calibrate your refractometer with distilled water or calibration solution. Last time this popped up I tried explaining the calibration continuum of these meters but I am not sure everyone understood. So yesterday day when I was recalibrating my refractometer I did my best to capture a few photos. Calibration solution was new and confirmed on a YSI (conductivity method) to be 35.1 ppt.

refracr.JPG

Both meters had drifted slightly from their previous calibration ~ 2 months ago using the above method... I know I'm lazy. What's most notable is meter 2 is off 0 by 6ppt while still correctly showing the calibration solution as 35ppt. Had the meter been calibrated with distilled water, 35ppt would have shown as 29ppt. I mentioned this because quite a few people have issues that appear to be salinity related while insisting it cannot be because they just calibrated their meter. Meter 1 faired a little better despite having drifted 1ppt up. Had it been calibrated with distilled water, even accounting for the drift, it would read 35ppt as 32ppt. As mentioned earlier, no method is going to give any real precision, but using 0 as a calibration just compounds error. So my point? I guess the upshot is:

Once opened calibration solution is only good for a very short time (days at most).
Meters do drift which is why even on commercial equipment they are required to be recalibrated and the method logged.
If you are testing for 35ppt, calibrate with a solution close to that number or even better both sides of your target.

Floaty things and shockey meters have different drawbacks that insure the same errors is precision. Do not just assume any single method gives you an accurate idea of the true number. Oh! And most important. ATC is not a brand.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting fact.. I bought my refractometer almost 8 years ago, calibrated with rodi because I didn't know better, not to be calibrated again. A couple months ago i was informed of how inaccurate it could be because of the rodi calibration so I mixed Randy's calibration solution using Morton iodized salt. To my surprise it was dead on perfect!! I have no idea why some refractometers hold their calibration better than others nor why some may calibrate properly with rodi. Just adding to the conversation

Attachments

• 20230923_084552.jpg
    20230923_084552.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.

Hows that work then? Haven’t you gotta know the refractive index of the solution? Along with some other chemistry wizardry? You can probably tell I have no idea what a YSI is, lol.

There are three common ways salinity is measure in the messed up world of aquariums.

Refractometer - Measures the refractivity of the sample. (Scope style meter)

Conductive - Measures the conductive resistance of the sample. (Probe style meters or the common Milwaukee)

Hydrometer - Measures the specific gravity (sg) of the sample. (Float style to include swing arms)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting fact.. I bought my refractometer almost 8 years ago, calibrated with rodi because I didn't know better, not to be calibrated again. A couple months ago i was informed of how inaccurate it could be because of the rodi calibration so I mixed Randy's calibration solution using Morton iodized salt. To my surprise it was dead on perfect!! I have no idea why some refractometers hold their calibration better than others nor why some may calibrate properly with rodi. Just adding to the conversation
Whereas mine is way off when calibrated with RODI.
There are three common ways salinity is measure in the messed up world of aquariums.

Refractometer - Measures the refractivity of the sample. (Scope style meter)

Conductive - Measures the conductive resistance of the sample. (Probe style meters or the common Milwaukee)

Hydrometer - Measures the specific gravity (sg) of the sample. (Float style to include swing arms)
But you cant check calibration solutions designed for refractometers with a conductivity probe, unless it’s some sort of seawater calibration solution.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whereas mine is way off when calibrated with RODI.

But you cant check calibration solutions designed for refractometers with a conductivity probe, unless it’s some sort of seawater calibration solution.

Meter was calibrated with KCI solution then solution for refractometer was verified against it.

tylerlaughman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wierd question any one in medical field and know what iv normal saline ppt is when measured on saline refractometer. it's only solution I always have and was wondering if can calibrate with it. ok looks like should be 9. sea water is 35 grams per liter and normal saline is 9grams per liters so makes sense.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back