Refractometer

kyleflahardy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2016
Messages
76
Reaction score
17
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I had a floating saltwater gadge witch is inaccurate and has claimed the lives of two clownfish and a shrimp because it gave an inaccurate reading and caused a salinity spike during a water change. I am looking to buy a more accurate, quality refractometer but need help picking one. I am looking for one no more than 40$ and preferably but not nessisarily off Amazon. Thanks
 
There are a lot of refractometers in that price range. The main thing to look for is ATC (automatic temperature compensation). I also like ones that have scales for specific gravity(SG) and parts per thousand (ppt). There are more expensive ones that are probably more well made but I've had good luck with one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refractometer-Aquarium-Seawater-Agriculture/dp/B005ES6MOQ

Ebay has tons of similar models too. This one from Bulk Reef Supply costs more but it comes with calibration fluid:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refra...-okPFUVRBMjWN0Pwi3lGLf83s8tHa10o6saAtuE8P8HAQ

Even if you buy a less expensive refractometer I recommend that you buy some calibration fluid.
 
I use the bulk Reef Supply hydrometer. It is very reliable. It holds its calibration well. I can do a reading really fast. It seems to help pointing it at a pretty bright light source.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new