Refugite. Is it worth it?

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some kind of refugium mud, called Refugite from Two Little Fishies.
I read it contains Mn and Fe that would help simulate enzymes so LFS can thrive better. It is different than dosing Mn & Fe which don't last long, either because algae or coral use it or get oxidized in water.
With this Refugite, water will always contain Mn&Fe they say.

1. Is that true or at least make sense?
2. If that mud is so rich in Mn&Fe, would we put Refugite all in or bit by bit (like dosing)?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering trying this stuff out. I also keep a clean sump so thinking about putting it in a container.

I don’t want to dose but if this is an effective slow release it seems positive.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it contains Mn and Fe that would help simulate enzymes so LFS can thrive better. It is different than dosing Mn & Fe which don't last long, either because algae or coral use it or get oxidized in water.

2. If that mud is so rich in Mn&Fe, would we put Refugite all in or bit by bit (like dosing)?
Mud in the refugium is a bad idea.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your source independent , or the manufacturer?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I read it contains Mn and Fe that would help simulate enzymes so LFS can thrive"

I heard something similar, that it contains magnesium and iron. If you purchase this it will help keep Two Little Fishes in business!

I saw this product. I hope you buy it and report back with your results. I have been waiting to find out how it turns out.

I bought some reef mud, sand, and pods from Floridapets.com and I know what was in the bag works just like in the ocean.

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread, a little late I know. I have been using this in my retail store. Works great! You can see an amazing difference with it regarding lps coral. It's on a system with three 80 gallon tanks connected to one sump. Total water volume is roughly 270 gallons with the sump. I have one 15lb bag For the entire system.

One of the tanks holds only Goni colonies and the frags we offer for sale. One is all of our mushrooms, and the other houses our large lps coral scoly, lobo, symphillia, wilsoni, duncan's, cynarina etc... I was having issues with keeping the levels in check with inverse reactions of calcium and alkalinity. One week it was high and one week it was low, in opposing directions for both alk and calcium. Dosing wouldn't work. Large water changes wouldn't work to balance things out. I finally checked out my magnesium levels and they were 1180!

I would dose the amount needed to correct the magnesium levels to keep my alk and calcium stable. I ended up having to dose 50ml a day to keep the magnesium levels up around 1300. Once I put in the refugite sand I only have to dose 50mls a week to keep the magnesium levels up. The gonis especially react to the added major and miner elements that the reunite sand is adding to the system. I don't know if it would be beneficial to others if they have a smaller, less heavily stocked system. I have over 150 corals in that system that suck up a lot of major three.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was wondering if anyone has gotten this stuff tested to it's claim of Mn and Iron replenishment.

Any ICP test done or more info would be appreciated.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mud in fuge is just another place for dietrus to build up!
True, and I like a clean sump. But the detritus buildup in refugite can be avoided by keeping it in the bucket with some mesh over the top. I would place it and a slower flow area after filter socks and skimmer. I’m considering doing this when I get gonies. I think Parker’s Reef shows how to do this method in a video on refugite.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I bought the refugite and put it in tupperware in the sump and within about 1-3 day all my Goniopora were so extended It looked like small colonies instead of frags. Highly recommend. Remember that Julian Sprung is like the God Father of our hobby and knows things that we wouldnt even think to ask. Plus my po4 stays stable at .05 no matter how much I feed which was not possible until I had the refugite. Hope this helps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back