Refugium and algae scrubber

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there how’s everyone’s Saturday going I hope well so the question I have is what benefits would I receive if I run a refugium with a algae scrubber would investing in a algae scrubber be a waste of money if I already have a refugium in my sump tank hasn’t been set up yet next week I will start the hard plumping I was a little confused on what would happen if I run both a algae scrubber and refugium at the same time

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there how’s everyone’s Saturday going I hope well so the question I have is what benefits would I receive if I run a refugium with a algae scrubber would investing in a algae scrubber be a waste of money if I already have a refugium in my sump tank hasn’t been set up yet next week I will start the hard plumping I was a little confused on what would happen if I run both a algae scrubber and refugium at the same time
There's a good chance the algae scrubber will outcompete your refugium for nutrients and your macroalgae will die. Green hair and nuscence algae grow much easier than chaeto/caulerpa does. Which is why display tanks with alot of green hair algae already established have such a hard time getting their refugium to take off. This is also why it's not recommended to run GFO if you're doing a fuge as the gfo can strip all the phosphates and your macroalgae will die off. Definitely something you can try if you have alot of nutrients, but be prepared for one to fail.

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a good chance the algae scrubber will outcompete your refugium for nutrients and your macroalgae will die. Green hair and nuscence algae grow much easier than chaeto/caulerpa does. Which is why display tanks with alot of green hair algae already established have such a hard time getting their refugium to take off. This is also why it's not recommended to run GFO if you're doing a fuge as the gfo can strip all the phosphates and your macroalgae will die off. Definitely something you can try if you have alot of nutrients, but be prepared for one to fail.
Ok I understand so basically it’s one or the other then so let’s say if I run a refugium only without a gfo media reactor I would be ok

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand so basically it’s one or the other then so let’s say if I run a refugium only without a gfo media reactor I would be ok

i would say that you would be ok with the correct size fuge to your bio load and a suitable light size to match. I also think there is more pro's to running a fuge compared to a algae scrubber, so if it was me I would use a fuge instead of an ATS.

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say that you would be ok with the correct size fuge to your bio load and a suitable light size to match. I also think there is more pro's to running a fuge compared to a algae scrubber, so if it was me I would use a fuge instead of an ATS.
I was thinking a refugium with miracle mud and chateo with a kessil led light what you think

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a refugium with miracle mud and chateo with a kessil led light what you think

C7CFC1F3-DD71-4DEF-9812-8F1F748DCBA7.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good :) not sure about the mud though, I've only ever ran straight chaeto. Mud needs to be partially replaced yearly and that's to much work in my book lol

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good :) not sure about the mud though, I've only ever ran straight chaeto. Mud needs to be partially replaced yearly and that's to much work in my book lol
So basically just the kessil led light and chateo would be ok ? What you think of a Agea reactor if I’m running a refugium there’s no need for a algea reactor ?

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m running a refugium I don’t have to run a algea reactor correct

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m running a refugium I don’t have to run a algea reactor correct
This is my growth after only a couple days. Kessil H380 and a golf ball size chaeto.
LK3oBKCl.jpg

Now it's about the size of a football
After only 4 or 5 days and my algae in the display tank is dwindling down to nothing.
yDURFZAl.jpg

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my growth after only a couple days. Kessil H380 and a golf ball size chaeto.
LK3oBKCl.jpg

Now it's about the size of a football
After only 4 or 5 days and my algae in the display tank is dwindling down to nothing.
yDURFZAl.jpg
Looks like that chateo is growing with no problem at all with that kessil h380 Growing fast in just a couple days do you keep your kessil light on 24/7 ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that chateo is growing with no problem at all with that kessil h380 Growing fast in just a couple days do you keep your kessil light on 24/7 ?
12 hours on 12 hours off opposite of my display tank lighting

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours on 12 hours off opposite of my display tank lighting
Ok that’s what I figured because some people say it’s best to have the kessil on 24/7 because some people have experienced there chateo dying while only having there kessil on 12 hours a day when you test for nitrates and phosphates what are they

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back