Refugium and algae scrubber

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand so basically it’s one or the other.

Yes ..... and no! ATS, macro 'reactor' and chaeto refugium all basically do the same thing. ATS is the most space efficient; refugium the broadest in terms of benefits. I run both ATS and chaeto refugium - it's about nutrient export. If the ATS is sized to be able to remove all produced nutrients, then a chaeto refugium is unnecessary; and vice versa. It the ATS is not sized adequately (and it's hard to be precise) then a chaeto refugium can be helpful. FWIW, when I experimented with adding a chaeto reactor to my system, it proved to be not necessary.

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ..... and no! ATS, macro 'reactor' and chaeto refugium all basically do the same thing. ATS is the most space efficient; refugium the broadest in terms of benefits. I run both ATS and chaeto refugium - it's about nutrient export. If the ATS is sized to be able to remove all produced nutrients, then a chaeto refugium is unnecessary; and vice versa. It the ATS is not sized adequately (and it's hard to be precise) then a chaeto refugium can be helpful. FWIW, when I experimented with adding a chaeto reactor to my system, it proved to be not necessary.
Ok so usually how big does a refugium have to be

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you have in mind for it. If, in furtherance, of this discussion, it's to be used solely as a chaeto growing space and you are not running ATS, then I'd shoot for something on the larger size ..... say 10-20% of display.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are we talking here? For me running a flow through sump with a refugium never panned out, I attribute it to; too much flow. Algae scrubbers work well but are frankly a pita; I hate the maintenance, the waterfall noise, and the diddleling to get the flow right. Algae reactors are the bomb, for me; the only draw back is getting one large enough for large tanks in excess of say 125-150g.

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are we talking here? For me running a flow through sump with a refugium never panned out, I attribute it to; too much flow. Algae scrubbers work well but are frankly a pita; I hate the maintenance, the waterfall noise, and the diddleling to get the flow right. Algae reactors are the bomb, for me; the only draw back is getting one large enough for large tanks in excess of say 125-150g.
I have a 180 gallon standard glass tank eurobraced 3 panel starfire glass the tank is still sitting in my living room I got the tank about a month ago I haven’t plumped the tank yet because I’m buying everything before plumping the tank

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I either have the choice of going with the sump or a algea reactor and just using my refugium section for my protein skimmer since it’s a lot bigger then my protein section I currently have my protein skimmer in the algea reactor I actaully wanna use would be pax bellum n24

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

E6C4C0BD-EA5B-406A-B30A-905C7D1EEA9E.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the pax bellum is top of the line, able to handle large tanks, but pricey. If it's in your budget, that's what I would do. Enough rocks and flow with a properly or one size up skimmer, and one of these would be the perfect filtration setup for me.

OP
OP
Franco323

Franco323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the pax bellum is top of the line, able to handle large tanks, but pricey. If it's in your budget, that's what I would do. Enough rocks and flow with a properly or one size up skimmer, and one of these would be the perfect filtration setup for me.
Yeah it’s either that pax bellum or a new sump with a bigger refugium with a kessil led light for chateo growth

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both on my 90. I have an inexpensive led grow fixture mostly red with some blue. Grows cheato well. the alge scrubber is a DIY with four led soft white bulbs. no skimmer by the way. so they can co-exist....

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both on my 90. they coexist. inexpensive led gro fixture on the fuge and a DIY alge scrubber using warm white leds.....

MrGAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both on my 90. I have an inexpensive led grow fixture mostly red with some blue. Grows cheato well. the alge scrubber is a DIY with four led soft white bulbs. no skimmer by the way. so they can co-exist....
What is your experience with both? How long have you had both running? I am considering both because my sump fuse is only 12" for a 150 gal tank. I purchased the CW-100 External Algae Scrubber to add as a supplement but after reading this thread am second guessing my thoughts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back