Refugium and cheato problems

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have no idea why but my cheato keeps turning mushy and it falls apart, it doesn’t look green under refugium light but if I put a normal light on it you can tell it’s green still, this is my first refugium and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong over $80 worth of cheato has melted in my sump, I just added some more yesterday and I’m hoping to keep it alive

I have the crystal 30 sump/refugium from trigger systems, a have a “refugium” light I bought of Amazon based off of people that have had success with it, I don’t know how long to keep it on or off but I have been turning it on when my blues turn on and off when my lights turn on

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough bio load in the tank to grow it? It consumes nitrates to live, so no nitrates - no chaeto. For the light, start with 6 hours per night and don't turn on until DT lights are off. Pics of your setup and the type of light would be helpful.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have enough bio load in the tank to grow it? It consumes nitrates to live, so no nitrates - no chaeto. For the light, start with 6 hours per night and don't turn on until DT lights are off. Pics of your setup and the type of light would be helpful.
I should have a pretty good bio load, I’m at work right now I’ll have to upload pictures of my system later but here is a pic of the light I am using

Attachments

• DD35A9C4-E3FF-42BF-844B-B97031A778DF.png
    DD35A9C4-E3FF-42BF-844B-B97031A778DF.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bottomed out nitrates and phosphates could be one reason. That light works, I have the same one in one tank.
Yeah that’s what I have heard I have heard that they are decent lights and they will grow cheato, my phosphates are at 0.08 and I don’t have a good nitrate test kit so I’m not sure if they are 0 or 5, could dosing no pox do it?

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you dosed vibrant? I found that there was residual effects for a month after I stopped dosing it. Granted I only do 5% water changes every week. My chaeto started growing well after that. And also, bioload + nitrates + phosphates are necessary. I use that same grow light in my fluval 13.5 and my chaeto grows really well. I use a cheap 5k foglight in my larger tank and I have to take out a good clump of chaeto every week. I think it really comes down to nutrients and not using vibrant.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should be able to dose organic carbon and grow macroalgae at the same time if you choose to. However it depends on the amount you are dosing and most likely it is out competing the Chaeto on nutrients

My600GallonLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have no idea why but my cheato keeps turning mushy and it falls apart, it doesn’t look green under refugium light but if I put a normal light on it you can tell it’s green still, this is my first refugium and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong over $80 worth of cheato has melted in my sump, I just added some more yesterday and I’m hoping to keep it alive

I have the crystal 30 sump/refugium from trigger systems, a have a “refugium” light I bought of Amazon based off of people that have had success with it, I don’t know how long to keep it on or off but I have been turning it on when my blues turn on and off when my lights turn on
I have exactly the same problem and exactly the same setup. Any progress?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I have heard I have heard that they are decent lights and they will grow cheato, my phosphates are at 0.08 and I don’t have a good nitrate test kit so I’m not sure if they are 0 or 5, could dosing no pox do it?
0 or 5 is a big difference. 0 no good 5 is good when comes to chaeto. It needs both nitrate and phosphate and iron. I use algae reactor and dose chaeto grow every few days to supplement minerals it uses.
I have started with a ping-pong ball size and have about 3-4 tennis ball size in les than 2 weeks.
Hope this helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back