refugium Builds need help advicd

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks been running about 2 years it’s got about 60lb of live sand and 80lbs of rock in there (75g ) display 30 gallon sump. I’ve been having some cyano issues on my sand bed and rock surface .. so my sump has a middle section i wanna make into a fuge

I’ve been looking around whay people do and I’m alittle lost…

currently i have 15lbs of rock rubble in there and that’s it…
I was thinking i putting 5 lbs of thay miracle mud and maybe 5lbs or so some thicker grade sand on top of it? Then put the rock over that
Get some chaeto rubber band it over the rocks and put a grow like over it got a cheap Amazon grow light 100w people said works

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people think of the miracle mud wonder if it’s any good

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand in my refugium fwiw. It's a place for amphipods and worms to live in and burrow through. As a refuge it makes sense to me but if the goal is just to grow macroalgae then it may not

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand in my refugium fwiw. It's a place for amphipods and worms to live in and burrow through. As a refuge it makes sense to me but if the goal is just to grow macroalgae then it may not
Well I’m trying to actually make my sump useful it’s a container that holds my pump and skimmer basically useless wanna change it to a fuge

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer some small live rock rubble for pods, other various critters and bacteria to populate, but no sand. I feel like sand and miracle mud are only beneficial if what you have in your tank can’t support what you have. The chaeto likes the flow and sand I can see being a mess. Just my $0.02 and how I have my fuge set up.

271DE74C-64A7-4FC5-A92C-2103889FFD72.jpeg

Last edited:

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run sand in my fuge. I don't know why anyone would say not to, but if they have a reason, ok. Seems bizarre to me.
I want the sand for all the critters that live in it and reproduce in it. That's food for the tank. There are some threads on here about mud refugiums and some great info online. I'm planning on trying it myself here soon. The only thing I would consider a negative, is that it's recommended you replace about 50% each year but, I'm willing to accept that.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, interesting haven't heard that stuff before

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run sand in my fuge. I don't know why anyone would say not to, but if they have a reason, ok. Seems bizarre to me.
I want the sand for all the critters that live in it and reproduce in it. That's food for the tank. There are some threads on here about mud refugiums and some great info online. I'm planning on trying it myself here soon. The only thing I would consider a negative, is that it's recommended you replace about 50% each year but, I'm willing to accept that.
That’s what i read too people usually put it under a small sand bed so it leaks slowly into the tank i seeded my tank with copes last year and now their all mia

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this. Additional sand is only beneficial if you don't already have enough surface area. Pods will love in the macro you choose to use.

Also, I'd look at how much flow you have in your display and check your levels to ensure you don't have a phosphate or nitrate issue that's better served with a different approach.

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you planning a fuge for nice variety of fauna then small rubble would be good idea.

I keep rubble in my fuge. And I normally blow it out weekly.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this. Additional sand is only beneficial if you don't already have enough surface area. Pods will love in the macro you choose to use.

Also, I'd look at how much flow you have in your display and check your levels to ensure you don't have a phosphate or nitrate issue that's better served with a different approach.
We’ll I’m having phosphate issues getting cyano can’t bring the phosphates down reason i wanna make the fuge into a power house and grow chaeto

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We’ll I’m having phosphate issues getting cyano can’t bring the phosphates down reason i wanna make the fuge into a power house and grow chaeto
Then I would just go bare bottom and add flow in there to make the Chaeto spin. That would give you the best results

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would just go bare bottom and add flow in there to make the Chaeto spin. That would give you the best results
What you mean make the chaeto spin? I put some chaeto in last time and it slowly died our after about a week which makes no sense to cause my phosphates are .85 so it should of fed off that

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Though don’t think the spin is necessary so I wouldn’t get hung up on that. A strong light is important as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back