refugium Builds need help advicd

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What you mean make the chaeto spin? I put some chaeto in last time and it slowly died our after about a week which makes no sense to cause my phosphates are .85 so it should of fed off that
Normally in low flow fuge only one side of the cheato is lite and grows. If you have ball of cheato and enough flow. It will spin and have new growth on all sides.

If your last ball of chaeto died, then I would look at your light and water parm.

I add "Chaeto Grow" from Brightwell and get great growth. Chaeto actually will strip out keep elements from your water as grows. Not just phospate and Nitrate. That your corals need too.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light for your fuge has to as strong or close to your display. So the chaeto can out compete the algae in your main tank.
Oh boy i didn’t know the light had to be that strong people said even a basic plant light will do wonders…

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I don't get the concept of Chaeto Grow; but that's not a first lol. Almost bought some once but thought...."am I trying to grow chaeto?" and passed. My chaeto doesn't grow off the charts but it doesn't die either. I look at it as a buffer for excess nutrients at this point in time

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll admit I don't get the concept of Chaeto Grow; but that's not a first lol. Almost bought some once but thought...."am I trying to grow chaeto?" and passed. My chaeto doesn't grow off the charts but it doesn't die either. I look at it as a buffer for excess nutrients at this point in time
I use be to that way too, until I tried it. Not just the chaeto, but my corals have seen better growth and coloration too.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use be to that way too, until I tried it. Not just the chaeto, but my corals have seen better growth and coloration too.
Not doubting your success but on paper it didn't add up for me is all. I wanted the chaeto to handle excess nutrients; if I dosed nutrients for the chaeto to grow, that would defeat the purpose and negate it's effect on the pulling from the rest of the system. Now getting the chaeto to a mass that can effectively have an impact is a concept I get so for that purpose...maybe

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought. Here's a similar thread with some good info on refugium setup that was going on this week also:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doubting your success but on paper it didn't add up for me is all. I wanted the chaeto to handle excess nutrients; if I dosed nutrients for the chaeto to grow, that would defeat the purpose and negate it's effect on the pulling from the rest of the system. Now getting the chaeto to a mass that can effectively have an impact is a concept I get so for that purpose...maybe
Cheatogrow is not nutrients. It is trace elements that the cheato consumes when it grows. Iron is one for example.

I use it on my macro tanks, as without it, they will die. Unless I was to dose the specific elements needed singularly, this is my best option out there to replenish those used by the macros. I have also used it with cheato,and with great success. In some tanks, it is not needed and people grow cheato like a weed. But for others, they may be iron limited or some other trace element limited and it does help those individuals that are trace limited. I know by ICP tests, that I was limited on quite a few elements and the cheatogrow provides them, so I use it.

But if one can grow cheato without it, awesome.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheatogrow is not nutrients. It is trace elements that the cheato consumes when it grows. Iron is one for example.

I use it on my macro tanks, as without it, they will die. Unless I was to dose the specific elements needed singularly, this is my best option out there to replenish those used by the macros. I have also used it with cheato,and with great success. In some tanks, it is not needed and people grow cheato like a weed. But for others, they may be iron limited or some other trace element limited and it does help those individuals that are trace limited. I know by ICP tests, that I was limited on quite a few elements and the cheatogrow provides them, so I use it.

But if one can grow cheato without it, awesome.
ok. To be fair I never really looked into the ingredients and funny you say that because I think iron is my limiter at this point; been thinking about getting some fergon to dose just haven't gotten around to it. Simply to see if it helps but honestly if my chaeto takes off I'd be afraid it'd strip too much; already running thin. I've got the lighting period down to 8 hours as it is. Thanks for the info

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since normally flow thru a fuge is slow, the sand becomes a nutrient sink. And slow leaks back into main tank.
I've always run it low turnover but, use power heads for higher 'flow' within the fuge. Keeps detritus in suspension and moving out of the fuge.

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I use PhosBan to help regulate phosphates. It comes in little pellets that I put in a nylon bag and place in my sumps where they get good flow.

I have that in addition to my fuge, and my macro is growing very well still. My phosphates stay <0.2 ppm.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back