Refugium flow / 2 filters

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Still in cycle phase but new to creating a refugium in it. Currently, main chamber is the skimmer and bit of live rock, 2nd chamber is refugium with miracle mud and live rock, bubble trap next with chemi-pure bags, final chamber is return pump, heater, and ato sensor. I was wondering what the flow rate should be for the sump, main tank has a Jebao OW-50 wavemaker, and a canister filter fluval 406 running along with the sump. I use a overflow box for the sump with a pump rated for 630 gph, but only have it at 90% flow or so but wonder if its too fast and also if I am using this sump do I even need to use my old canister filter on top of it:?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 gallon sump can only handle so much flow before the fuge gets overwhelmed and the mud ends up flowing out. Depending on what you have in the filter, you could take it off line and see where your nutrients end up after a few weeks. They might rise at first if they are supplying some bacterial filtration

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 gallon sump can only handle so much flow before the fuge gets overwhelmed and the mud ends up flowing out. Depending on what you have in the filter, you could take it off line and see where your nutrients end up after a few weeks. They might rise at first if they are supplying some bacterial filtration
Yeah the canister filter has the basics, large material filter, fine filter, couple carbon filters, and some filter rings. Sump itself has the chemi-pure bags, skimmer, live rock and refugium. Will be adding pods and chaetomorpha after cycle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back