Refugium for Waterbox Peninsula 5526

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am thinking of adding a refugium to my Waterbox 5526 sump to grow enough copepods for a melanurus wrasse (arrives in 2 weeks) and two Biota mandarin dragonets (still at least a few months away). Tank has been up and running since June 2022.

Problem is, I have no idea how to do it. Here is a photo of my sump:

Waterbox sump 2.jpg

This is the chamber I thought would be great for a refugium. It's after the filter socks but before the skimmer. Currently has my two heaters and biofilter brick in it:

Waterbox sump 1.jpg

Would this space work for a refugium? If so, how would you do it? And do I even need a refugium for a melanurus wrasse and two dragonets?

Thanks!

Andrew

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Bio brick plus crush up some rock ( rock rubble) is all you need . Copepods ( hobby grade ) don't eat complex algae so you don't need a traditional " refugium " . Think it more as a copepod safe haven I would also add some sort of low ambient light ( 8-10 hours a day ) to that section as well .

OP
OP
A

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay. I actually have two biobricks in my sump (one under my skimmer), so that's good news. Any advice on a source of ambient light? And should I introduce all copepods to my sump instead of my display?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay. I actually have two biobricks in my sump (one under my skimmer), so that's good news. Any advice on a source of ambient light? And should I introduce all copepods to my sump instead of my display?
Split it 50/50 is what I always recommend on a 1st time seeding . The light can be anything a small led , small puck light , lamp etc . The purpose of the light is to give the copepods a sense of rythm wake up go to sleep kinda deal instead of sitting in darkness the whole time . Your not attempting to grow anything with the light so it doesn't need spectrum or a certain intensity.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

I was wondering what you thought of the Tunze Eco Chic 8831 light for copepods only and not chaeto? Would love to get a sump light for copepods and this is the only one so far that intrigues me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back