Refugium function

SesameSeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read about the importance of having a refugium, especially for reef/saltwater tanks. My understanding is that a refugium serves primarily as a home for organisms that act as biofilters, such as macroalgae and microorganisms. I have also read that they can be used as a home for Copepods, which can be a food source for some of the life in your tank. In all of the sump refugia I have seen online, the refugium is placed before the main filtration stage in the water flow. I'm wondering how the Copepods make their way to the display tank from the sump? Are they able to travel through the skimmer and filter media before making it to the return pump? Or do you need to transfer (by hand) some Copepods from the refugium to the display tank for feeding? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a refugium works best after the filter socks and protein skimmer. The idea is that pods make their way to the return pump and into the tank.

The primary function of a refugium is going to be nitrate and phosphate reduction as well as a pH booster. Pods will live anywhere that there is food. If you have alge eating fish, you can take some macro algae (some are "tastier" than others) and feed it to display fish (which in turn brings whatever pods were living on it out into the display).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a refugium works best after the filter socks and protein skimmer. The idea is that pods make their way to the return pump and into the tank.

The primary function of a refugium is going to be nitrate and phosphate reduction as well as a pH booster. Pods will live anywhere that there is food. If you have alge eating fish, you can take some macro algae (some are "tastier" than others) and feed it to display fish (which in turn brings whatever pods were living on it out into the display).

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
S

SesameSeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much for your response!

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are setting one up for the first time, I'd be more than happy to help you pick out the right lights, algae, and possible trace element supplements for the algae!

Upvote 0

Raysup88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are setting one up for the first time, I'd be more than happy to help you pick out the right lights, algae, and possible trace element supplements for the algae!
I just built my sump. 3 chamber 20 gal long. I have very high nitrates so need to get refugium going. What ya got

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my sump. 3 chamber 20 gal long. I have very high nitrates so need to get refugium going. What ya got

Algae: Chaeto, Red Gracilaria (Ogo), Green Gracilaria (ogo), etc.
Light: Nicrew hyperreef 50w (or 100w if the refugium area is big), Kessil Fuge, AI Fuge 16hd, or par38 bulb for reefs or grow
Supplements: I like chaetogro, but there are a variety.

Upvote 0

Raysup88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae: Chaeto, Red Gracilaria (Ogo), Green Gracilaria (ogo), etc.
Light: Nicrew hyperreef 50w (or 100w if the refugium area is big), Kessil Fuge, AI Fuge 16hd, or par38 bulb for reefs or grow
Supplements: I like chaetogro, but there are a variety.
I have been doing some research and people are also saying to get some marinepure spheres or blocks or doing sand or mud whatever that is. Also copeepods? Is this overkill?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research and people are also saying to get some marinepure spheres or blocks or doing sand or mud whatever that is. Also copeepods? Is this overkill?

You can add marine pure or what not if you prefer less rock in the display, but I prefer a clean refugium. I have matrix biomedia in some bags in my sump in a different compartment. You can add pods. They don't have any downsides.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back