Refugium necessary?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a refugium and removed it due to Cyano issues. Now I only run mechnical filtration with skimmer and socks, and I dont really notice a difference with nutrients.
There are other benefits of refugium such as pH stability but I dont think it is nessesary to have a fuge even without plants or deep sandbed, as long as other methods of exporting nutrients are there.
For pods and critters I have a big pile of liverock and bio spheres in the sump.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my fuge. It's the best part of my filtration (plus it houses my wartskin angler). But no, they are not absolutely necessary as long as you have adequate filtration and space for pods

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my fug, I used to have feather dusters and tube anemones, with mangrove......however I have not replace the critters as they parish as I am hoping to grow chaeto.

I always under the refugium ie refuge is really for small critters, pod, seahorses, and cool thing that might not survive in your DT. From,that perspective you never need one.

I under stand the sump as where I have my filtration under my DT.

I have a trigger sump with a fuge section, the one issue I have is the divider has a cool trigger cut out, but too many critter escape and get sucked into my skimmer......lost a seahare, couple of cool nudibrachs, Peppermint shrimp. I really wanted a fuge for cool small critters. I do like the idea of an angler though......may have to reconsider

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my fug, I used to have feather dusters and tube anemones, with mangrove......however I have not replace the critters as they parish as I am hoping to grow chaeto.

I always under the refugium ie refuge is really for small critters, pod, seahorses, and cool thing that might not survive in your DT. From,that perspective you never need one.

I under stand the sump as where I have my filtration under my DT.

I have a trigger sump with a fuge section, the one issue I have is the divider has a cool trigger cut out, but too many critter escape and get sucked into my skimmer......lost a seahare, couple of cool nudibrachs, Peppermint shrimp. I really wanted a fuge for cool small critters. I do like the idea of an angler though......may have to reconsider
King of the jungle
20210106_214103.jpg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You typically have a fuge to grow pods and odd critters or run macros (cheato) to reduce nutrients.

If you don't have a nutrient issue you dont need a fuge with macros.

Mangroves dont export much nitrate because the grow slow and cheato > DSB.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back