Refugium or Protein skimmer? or neither?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquamaxx Bullet 3 HOB skimmer on your sump and a fuge. I have it on a 40g and it's awesome! It would meet your demands. If you feed heavily, you could add macroalgae to compensate where the skimmer falls short. Undersized skimmers are better than oversized skimmers. Your pods will keep nutrients in check too. I culture pods and phyto. It takes 30min a week and it's a lot of fun. You will never fall short on food and you only need to buy the pods once. You can use reef nutrition phyto feast instead of culturing phyto. The 32oz would last you it's 8 month expiration.

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx Bullet 3 HOB skimmer on your sump and a fuge. I have it on a 40g and it's awesome! It would meet your demands. If you feed heavily, you could add macroalgae to compensate where the skimmer falls short. Undersized skimmers are better than oversized skimmers. Your pods will keep nutrients in check too. I culture pods and phyto. It takes 30min a week and it's a lot of fun. You will never fall short on food and you only need to buy the pods once. You can use reef nutrition phyto feast instead of culturing phyto. The 32oz would last you it's 8 month expiration.
I was definitely considering the Aquamaxx bullet 3...glad to hear you have a great success with it.

is the phyto for the pods? or what are you using the phyto for?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was definitely considering the Aquamaxx bullet 3...glad to hear you have a great success with it.

is the phyto for the pods? or what are you using the phyto for?
Phyto is for the pods mainly for now that my tank is young. When dosed to the tank, they will consume nutrients until they are swallowed up by the rest of the life in the tank. Corals also consume phyto but right now I don't have any.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with everyone. If your goal is waste management, a refugium is better. They remove nitrate/nitrite/ammonia, provide oxygen, raise pH, are vastly cheaper, provide free fish food depending on the macroalgae, and require little maintenance. Skimmers aerate the water and can help remove some organics before they are broken down. They can't do anything for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and phosphate on their own, will probably not raise the pH on their own(may in fact lower it), can be noise, require cleaning, can be finicky when certain foods are added, remove bacteria and other food from the water column (which also removes competition from algae), etc. I like skimmers for aeration, but that can be done without spending a vast amount of money.

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with everyone. If your goal is waste management, a refugium is better. They remove nitrate/nitrite/ammonia, provide oxygen, raise pH, are vastly cheaper, provide free fish food depending on the macroalgae, and require little maintenance. Skimmers aerate the water and can help remove some organics before they are broken down. They can't do anything for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and phosphate on their own, will probably not raise the pH on their own(may in fact lower it), can be noise, require cleaning, can be finicky when certain foods are added, remove bacteria and other food from the water column (which also removes competition from algae), etc. I like skimmers for aeration, but that can be done without spending a vast amount of money.
curious what would be your preferred method of aeration and whether there is a method of aeration that can share the same chamber as the refugium

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious what would be your preferred method of aeration and whether there is a method of aeration that can share the same chamber as the refugium

I don't see a need for anything additional than surface agitation and the sump drain.

You can also just use an air stone for aeration. How effective that is probably depends on the air stone size. I don't like the noise and splash from air stones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back