Refugium using overflow box

Buddyrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I tee off my drain line from my overflow box to a 10 gallon tank used as a refugium the same level as my main sump can I use a overflow box to get water out of the refugium to the main sent should there be any problems with this thanks in advance all opinions are greatly appreciated

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing something similiar. I haven't yet but as winter sets in this may be my next project. Hoping it's not too much of a pia to get the flow right but here's what I came up with on a "napkin"...
20galadd.jpg
I'm thinking more just one big loop. Trying to think why a T line wouldn't work only that dialing in flow may be more difficult...dunno

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing something similiar. I haven't yet but as winter sets in this may be my next project. Hoping it's not too much of a pia to get the flow right but here's what I came up with on a "napkin"...
20galadd.jpg
I'm thinking more just one big loop. Trying to think why a T line wouldn't work only that dialing in flow may be more difficult...dunno
I did this last night. Works great ;)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kept it simple. Water drops down from dt overflow. U-tube connects the new 20 to the sump next to it and keeps the water height at sump level. Power outage is np because water level is at same height as sump, there's no added volume as far as it's concerned, it just levels out. Fires right back up np (no broken siphon etc). I can crank the return pump up if I want np...just what I wanted. :)
20221128_180903.jpg 20221128_180858.jpg

OP
OP
Buddyrussell

Buddyrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kept it simple. Water drops down from dt overflow. U-tube connects the new 20 to the sump next to it and keeps the water height at sump level. Power outage is np because water level is at same height as sump, there's no added volume as far as it's concerned, it just levels out. Fires right back up np (no broken siphon etc). I can crank the return pump up if I want np...just what I wanted. :)
20221128_180903.jpg 20221128_180858.jpg
Thanks

OP
OP
Buddyrussell

Buddyrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really no way to do it that way because of the difference in tank height that's why I was thinking of using the overflow box like I show in the second picture any ideas or greatly appreciated
IMG_20221201_004609167.jpg
IMG_20221201_004651017.jpg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do an overflow at first. Following king of diy pvc overflow updated version with a 2"in pvc insert but the more I thought about it and I tested with some buckets in the kitchen (lol) I decided all I needed was the U-tube and I'd live with the water level being at the sump water level height.

A great side effect of the water level being at sump level is no added water volume to sump when power goes out; just levels out to sump. This was important (to me at least)

In your second picture there, you fixed the height issue with the stool. Just need a U-tube connecting those two at that point, the overflow is not needed. The over flow will work obviously but why bother with it as it still needs a U-tube. I'd skip it, and just make the U-tube length a few inches below the lowest water level to retain siphon; should be golden.

OP
OP
Buddyrussell

Buddyrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do an overflow at first. Following king of diy pvc overflow updated version with a 2"in pvc insert but the more I thought about it and I tested with some buckets in the kitchen (lol) I decided all I needed was the U-tube and I'd live with the water level being at the sump water level height.

A great side effect of the water level being at sump level is no added water volume to sump when power goes out; just levels out to sump. This was important (to me at least)

In your second picture there, you fixed the height issue with the stool. Just need a U-tube connecting those two at that point, the overflow is not needed. The over flow will work obviously but why bother with it as it still needs a U-tube. I'd skip it, and just make the U-tube length a few inches below the lowest water level to retain siphon; should be golden.
If I do it that way it will leave just several inches in the small tank I plan on running 12 in the big one thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back