Refugium vs. Media Reactor ?

Refugium vs. Media Reactor

• Total voters

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to set up either a refugium or keep the media reactor that I have and run GFO/Carbon. I have a 5 inch by 10 inch space for a refugium to grow Chaeto. This would be on a 35 gallon DT with an 18 gallon sump. What do you guys think is better?

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium with chaeto is the way to go - natural, inexpensive, and easy to setup.
Do you think the 5x10 space would be good for my tank size? It would total a 1.5 gallon chamber. I also will be running a Aqua Vitro 125 skimmer in the chamber beforehand.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the 5x10 space would be good for my tank size? It would total a 1.5 gallon chamber. I also will be running a Aqua Vitro 125 skimmer in the chamber beforehand.
Here’s a picture of my 9” X 6” Refugium for my 90g.

429CEAAD-F713-4F9E-A74A-368324419CA6.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trend is smaller refugium now because if set up properly they have shown to handle DT nutrients export effectively and efficiently. My fuge is not much bigger then your size and my DT is 65g.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do 2 totally different things, well almost.....

Media reactor won't lower nitrates, and chaeto won't polish your water, but they both can drop phosphates(GFO in the reactor). I use both in my setup.

Reactor for carbon, and chaeto for nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do 2 totally different things, well almost.....

Media reactor won't lower nitrates, and chaeto won't polish your water, but they both can drop phosphates(GFO in the reactor). I use both in my setup.

Reactor for carbon, and chaeto for nitrates and phosphates.
I’m thinking of running a refugium without filter socks. In the filter sock slot, I will put a media cup with high capacity carbon.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just say....

BRS did a very old video(one of their first when they started out) about the effectiveness of carbon in a reactor, versus just running it passively. It was for sure an eye opener, and will always run carbon in a reactor from the take away in that video.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of running a refugium without filter socks. In the filter sock slot, I will put a media cup with high capacity carbon.
I personally would not do this. The crashing of the water into the carbon, can and will grind it into dust. Carbon dust is a well known contributor to HLLE.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not do this. The crashing of the water into the carbon, can and will grind it into dust. Carbon dust is a well known contributor to HLLE.
I have a Waterbox 60.2 but the sump doesn’t have room for all three amenities

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although reactors are much more efficient do you think fine carbon dust doesn't develop in there and escape into the water column also? I'm sure it does in microscopic amounts.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back